Weird Windows 7 boot screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by optimistique1, Aug 26, 2009.

1. optimistique1

optimistique1 MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2009
    Hi All

I am having a weird experience after I installed WIN 7 onto my Compaq Mini 702EA.

For some reason I do not get the Windows 7 boot screen, instead I get the progress bar like the one in Vista and then straight into the desktop.

There is nothing wrong with my install media as I used it on another machine and all is fine.

I wonder if it could be something to do with the bios?

Has anyone any ideas as this machine has NEVER even had Vista on it :confused:

2. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    For some reason or another, that particular machine is not using the Win7 boot sector loader--probably nothing to do with BIOS.
    Try to repair the bootsector:
    Boot with the Win7 DVD/Repair/Recovery Console:
    {DVD Drive Letter}:\boot\bootsect.exe /NT60 ALL

If you are using one of the Grub based loaders, this will remove it, by the way.

3. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I've found that if Windows 7 uses the "Vista" loading screen (which as far as I can tell, doesn't have anything to do with Vista per say, it's just the basic or quick loading screen), it's most likely due to a previous problem loading up and after a normal shutdown it should return to the Windows 7 logo loading screen.
    If it does not, then something's wrong or a setting has been changed to use the basic loader.

4. optimistique1

optimistique1 MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2009
    Hey guys thanks for your replies. I was not aware of a basic or quick loading screen which you mention is most likely due to a previous problem loading up. Well I have shut down several times and rebooted but still get the same problem. I will give the suggestion a try with the recovery DVD and cosole promt and see how that goes.

I did have Ubuntu on before but I completely erased the drive before installing Windows 7.

Very weird though!!!!!:rolleyes:

5. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Go to Start > Type in msconfig and press enter.
    Under the boot tab, uncheck the box labeled 'No GUI boot'.
    If it's already unchecked, then I think there's a problem and you should try Boot Repair.

6. Marcher

Marcher MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    at least 1024 x 764 resolution is needed for the new animated W7 logo to show during boot AFAIK ...

I your mini (like my Acer A150) only can do 1024x600 you will be stuck with the "Vista"-animation ;)

7. optimistique1

optimistique1 MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2009
    Hi All, I tried the DVD recovery option with the repair console using -

{DVD Drive Letter}:\boot\bootsect.exe /NT60 ALL

I does not seem to recognise this command.

ALso, is it true about the resolution that is mentioned in the earlier post?

Many thanks

Garry

8. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I recall reading something about that as well.
    I cannot tell from first hand experience, but it sounds possible.

9. ifeife2

ifeife2 MDL Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I have really no idea about what problem you have but you can try bootrec.exe also

10. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Yes it is. Minimum 768 vertical pixels are needed to display new bootscreen.

11. optimistique1

optimistique1 MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2009
    Is there anyway around this, can anything be configured to make the Windows 7 boot screen work?
    Can the resolution options not be changed anywhere maybe?
    Many thanks:(

12. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    What windows version do you have ? english or another one ?

So far i tested those versions and don't have that problem you mentioned

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 English
    Windows 7 Ultimate x86 English
    Windows 7 Professional x86 Dutch

13. parasxos

parasxos MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    #13 parasxos, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    If you see this bar it is probably because it is going to the default recovery mode of your laptop which was for vista(if it had vista preinstalled in a hidden partition). That means that your windows 7 installation was not ok for some reason so i propose that you reinstall it.

Before you installed ubuntu what was in your hard drive? Check for hidden partitions..

EDIT: Now that i m checking it an small screen netbook marcher was right...