welcome screen HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by optimistique1, Nov 30, 2009.

1. optimistique1

optimistique1 MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2009
    Does anybody know how to get rid of the welcome screen and enable to logon box that you get in WIndows XP for example? Many thanks Garry

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Run > gpedit.msc > Computer Config\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Interactive logon: Do not display last user name > Enabled

And

Run > gpedit.msc > Computer Config\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Interactive logon: CTRL+ALT+DEL for logon disable > Disabled

It's slightly different than in XP.

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Type "auto logon" in Help and Support and search.

Answer 3 will be "Enable or disable secure logon (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)"

From there you can easily open "advanced User Accounts"

Click on "Advanced" tab and you can check the box to require Control Alt Delete

You can also choose to completely skip the login on the "Users" tab.

This dialog box used to be available in Vista by entering "control userpasswords2" in the Run box of the start menu but this command is not available in 7.

This is the easiest way I found to find this dialog - You can create a shortcut to it if you want - I'll let you discover this yourself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    That'll work too, but I think the first method would be much easier. Just a few clicks.

The same gpedit method can also be done through registry :

In regedit, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane, doubleclick on DontDisplayLastUserName and change to 1.
    Now doubleclick on "DisableCAD" and change to 0.

These two methods both do the same...

gen