Western Digital or Seagate?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Tabassum, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Tabassum

Tabassum MDL Member

Jun 7, 2011
    #1 Tabassum, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  3. Jeroni.

Jeroni. MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2014
    Greetings, my experience is definitely ... HDD Western Digital. The use for years. And OCZ Vertex SSD.

4. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I had a WD Mybook fail the controller, and I had to break it open to put it in my desktop. WD hard drives are fine, but I won't buy another WD external since that controller quit.. I have good luck with Seagate drives also

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    See? You always found polarized opinions about anything including your topic... :) Then this confirm my initial premise: Don't prefer a specific brand.

6. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    It doesn't matter what hardware type is the topic - drive, memory, video card, motherboard, power supply, etc. Read enough reviews on Newegg, Amazon, etc. and you will always find the same two responses:

1 - "I've used ABC brand for years. But recently XYZ brand have lowered their price to where I couldn't resist. I bought a XYZ and it failed a week after I bought it. Screw XYZ. Never again. Going back to ABC. Never should have switched."

2 - "I've used ABC brand for years. They always used to be good, but the last two I bought failed. ABC quality control has gone to hell. Using XYZ brand now with zero problems. Never going back to ABC."

When it comes to storage medium, they all can fail. Redundancy is paramount. Over the decades I've used every brand of hard drive. They have all failed at one time or another. It doesn't matter, I realize no storage medium is 100% forever. Don't ignore reviews, but don't take them too seriously either.

7. Tabassum

Tabassum MDL Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Thank"Q" for all reply's iam going to buy Seagate HDD :)

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    This is 100% true. I have bought both WD and Seagate and simply cannot say that one is superior. For me, what matters is price and performance. I am totally indifferent to both, though in recent years, my purchases have been skewed towards Seagate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...