Western Digital WD80EFZX 8TB Internal HDD NAS Storage

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by vze2mp9g, Apr 7, 2016.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
  2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You have initialised it as MBR which has a 2TB limit. Make it GPT for the full capacity.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Captain_WD

Captain_WD MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2014
    Hey there :)

As the guys suggested, you have most probably used the MBR partitioning style which has a limit of 2.2TB and the rest of your drive isn't visible. I would recommend to go to Disk Management and re-enable the drive. This should give you again the option to choose between the MBR and the GPT partitioning styles.

Another way of doing this is to use WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and perform the quick zero filling option which will wipe the drive clean and the next time you enter Disk Management your system will automatically ask you to initialize the drive and give you the GPT and MBR options. :)

Feel free to ask if there are any questions :) i'd be happy yo help out with whatever I can.

Captain_WD

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    He's got win7 so no issue with gpt.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Convert the disk to GPT (using mr.x his advise) and repartition the drive however you want.

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Nas drives are more durable and like enterprise drives handle errors differently to desktop drives. Desktop drives can easily trip a raid into thinking there was an error because of a delayed i/o.

7. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Yes, just be sure to have the right disk selected.

In a nutshell, WD Red drives are variable RPM (Intellipower) hard drives designed to be highly compatible in network attached storage units, and have the RAID features that are present in enterprise drives to not freak out when a drive fails in a RAID5 system. WD Red Pro drives are 7200RPM drives that are very very similar to enterprise drives, and are basically higher performance versions of the Reds. WD Black drives are designed for desktop computers and high performance. They are meant for gaming, video editing, and disk intensive applications.

8. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you for the simple comparisons of WD Drives. IMHO, wouldn't desktop computers and high performance people would like to have the reliability of WD Red or the Red Pro, if they can afford it?

IMHO, I would like to have one for storage because I wouldn't want to worry if the drive starts getting errors. Am I wrong in thinking that?
    Thanks! :)

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hi dude, only curious, really do you need 8TB for backup ??:eek:

10. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    This brings up something I've been wondering about.

Currently I have a 1TB drive formatted MBR running Win-7 Enterprise 64 Bit and everything works fine.
    I was thinking of getting a larger drive, 2TB-4TB and installing it along with the 1TB drive.
    As I understand it, the 2TB drive will work formatted as MBR so both drive's would be MBR.

But if I opt for a 4TB drive, then to utilize the entire 4TB I have to format it as GPT. Then do I have to convert my current 1TB drive to GPT or can I leave it as is, and run the boot drive as MBR and the secondary drive as GPT or do they both have to be GPT?

11. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    You can mix them at will.

12. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    #16 vze2mp9g, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    (OP)
    I would like to back up all my Blu-Ray DVD's to my 8TB Storage so I can stream them to my entertainment room so I don't have to dig through all my discs to locate a certain movie.
    I don't want to have my HDD fail with all my back ups of all my DVDs because that is a lot of work.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, so all I need to do is run DISKPART as an ADMINISTRATOR, and just use the CONVERT GPI and it will be able to use the full 8TB, or do I need to convert it to a BASIC or DYNAMIC then format it? I know this is going the hard way, but this is a learning experience. Will anyone tell me how to use DISKPART with this 8TB NAS drive? This is a NEW, never been formatted drive from Western Digital. I will appreciate any and all assistance concerning this matter.
    Thank You Again....

:cool: :worthy:

13. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    After I repartigtion the NAS RED drive, can I use the 1GB first partition to boot off of?
    Thanks! :) :eek:

14. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    lol 8TB is a good entry level starting position

15. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    In today's world that is very true.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If your using that 8TB drive for back up, then it is a good idea (imho) not to have that 8 tb's in your pc but as an external back up because if you get hit with an encryption type of virus then you'll have to pay or go through some kinda process to get your data back, another reason is if something happened (God forbid fire, flood. or theft...ect.) you can take an external drive with you or store it at another location.

Just sayin'