What are the odds...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by rompacka, Oct 31, 2012.

1. rompacka

rompacka MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2011
    That Microsoft will deactivate all copies of Windows 8 that used a Media Center key to gain permanent activation from after using a KMS server?

Is it possible that Microsoft can detect that a KMS was used before the Media Center key?

Thanks, I'm just trying to clear this up. :innocent:

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Question is how they could check if KMS-Activation is legit by their means, but disable all? Don´t think so. Leaked MAKs most probably, i guess.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rompacka

rompacka MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2011
    If they could check if it was a KMS activation, they could just update it to expire when the KMS activation was suppose to, couldn't they?

Isn't that previous activation data kept around? (I think in a file in the store folder called data.dat, but I'm not sure)

4. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I'd say low. It's time limited, a bit of a struggle to get token backup/restore for reinstall, so it isn't 100% bullet proof that you're going to see circulating on the torrents. They will most likely target leaked MAK keys, and cracks that mess up system files.

5. rompacka

rompacka MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2011
    When you say time limited, what exactly do you mean?

6. rompacka

rompacka MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2011
    bump......

7. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Generally you should wait 24h to bump.

What I mean is the free WMC keys must be activated by January 31. Also if you have tech-savvy early adopters (even if using non-legitimate versions), they are potential evangelists. These tech-savvy users are the ones that gave Vista a bad rep, and 7 a good rep. If they give 8 a good rep that will help the uptake.

Again historically Microsoft has gone after buggered system binaries, and leaked keys.

8. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #8 CODYQX4, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

9. rompacka

rompacka MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2011
    That's true, but I did see on the official Microsoft forums for Windows 8, that someone asked if you could use those Media Center keys after February 1st, and a Moderator posted there and said the keys will continue to work, you just won't be able to get the keys for free anymore, but if you already have keys they will work just as the bought ones do.

10. rompacka

rompacka MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2011
    But isn't that activation overwritten when the Media Center keys from Microsoft are used? :confused:
    Do they save that old KMS activation anywhere?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to learn.

11. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I don't know but what if I e-mail and ask them?

(P.S. Just kidding ;) )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Apok

Apok MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2007
    So would that mean you could stockpile the free WMC keys for future use?

13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    At least all keys have to be activated before 31. Jan 2013. There are bound to machine they were activated with. So you should minimum store the one you use atm :D