what audio cable should I buy to connect a desktop to a TV?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by nick_martin, Nov 27, 2010.

1. nick_martin

nick_martin MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2010
    I have the VGA cable to connect the TV and the pc. I think I need to buy a audio cable to connect them. Thanks
    IMG_0286.jpg

2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Yep, unless you got HDMI in your PC as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nick_martin

nick_martin MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2010
    I don't have HDMI in my pc. What kind of audio cablle should I buy?

4. randomboy

randomboy MDL Junior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Depends on what kind of output you have on your comp and input on tv . By looks of it (from the image)component cable seems to be the best bet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#5 JaguarXJ12, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
  6. dabits

dabits Guest

I tried that too, connecting my PC (DVI) with my TV (VGA) and the result was that I couldn't use the full resolution of the TV (black bars)
    Then I bought a new cable (DVI <-> HDMI) it was ~€ 10.- and now I can use the full TV resolution.
    I still have to use a separate cable for audio tho ... for me it's the green (see above) to cinch (red + white)

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    You have two simple choices imho. Use either red & white RCA cable or an SPDIF optical cable. Some tv's allow optical input but the easiest method would be connecting sound through an AV receiver.

8. nick_martin

nick_martin MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks. I adjusted the video to wide in my TV, I don't need to buy DVI to HDMI. Just need to get audio cable now..

9. demsaoroi88

demsaoroi88 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2010
    I think so you right