What benefits IPv6 will give us?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Happpy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Hello, Guys!

A new era IPv6 of Internet is coming and I hope you all will have known about this.

So can anyone tell me what this IPv6 will does for us? Can anyone tell real examples?

I'm unable to understand this so far.

Regards,

Happpy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
  4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    It will give you a lot more addresses that is the most basic thing.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yah.... lots of new unique IPs :)

6. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Now a basic question is that what will be the benefits of more addresses for our Internet and Web sites and people etc.... Please give real World example?

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    With IP 4 they were running out of addresses so it will give more addresses to people that need them. :eek: Here is an old article on it

8. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Thanks my friend for your efforts but I'm not technically very good in Computer. This is so technical what you're tell me or the other resources I'm reading on search engines.

You probably will be angry on asking same question again and again but still I want to understand in easy language (not Internet Technical Language). What will happen when IPs will be more and more? What benefits a single man (who have only one connection at home) will get? and what benefits will a Country get as millions of users of that Country will use IPv6 (many IPs)? What will be the effect to the Internet speed? How may new applications will come? Which type of will come etc.......?

For example: I ask you What is Google Search Engine? What are its benefits to the people? I think I will say easy search for the people, billions of page for only one topic, instant search enable, translate, advertisement like Adsense and so on.....

Regards,

9. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I request everyone to please help me here. I would be grateful to him/her who help me.

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Nowadays, more & more devices are accessing net; even higher-end cars. In IPv4, there are only 2^28 unique IPs which is bare minimum now. So IPv6 will help us.

11. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Ok so, there is the internet, made from computers connected to each other.
    If you access a website, your computer has to talk to the one hosting the website. Not only websites of course, also ftp servers, mail servers, even your playstation of you have hooked that up to the web.

But the internet doesn't talk in url's you type into your browsers' address bar, the web talks in numerical addresses: IP addresses.
    So when you type www.google.com, your computer does a DNS (Domain Name System) lookup for that url: it asks an external server what the IP of www.google.com is.

Now you computer talks to the server with the address it got from the DNS.

To make communication between every computer possible, it's clear that every computer connected to the web must have it's own unique IP, but... we're running out of them.

Now there are 2 solutions: a good (IPv6 with a ridiculous amount of addresses), and the dirty NAT solution.

I don't know if the next part is 100% correct, sorry.
    If we use NAT routers, you create a separate network. You get "the web", with the NAT connected to it, and the computers behind the NAT.
    Now the NAT still has it's own unique IP, but the computers behind the NAT only need an IP unique inside the NAT. There might be some other device in the world with the same IP, as long as it lives not in this NAT.

Now if some computer want's to talk to a computer behind the NAT, it sends it's packages to the NAT and the NAT knows to what computer in it's network it needs to go. (I don't know exactly how it knows, but that doesn't matter right now.)

This system works, but has a major drawback. For a computer outside the NAT, the computers behind the NAT aren't uniquely identifiable. This causes problems sometimes, in applications that specifically need that.

So the best solution for the web is IPv6, where every device has it's own unique address.

12. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #12 redroad, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    You were asking for real world examples and in post #2 you were given them but for the lack of your willingness to read them..

Multicasting, Stateless address autoconfiguration (SLAAC), Mandatory network-layer security, Simplified processing by routers, Mobility, Options extensibility, Jumbograms, and Privacy.

Please do not take this the wrong way but a lack of intellectual curiosity is the only obstacle I see here.. If after really reading what has been provided for you in the above posts I am sure if you post specific questions on what you do not understand, your questions will be answered. All of the above examples are

13. Vanessa444

Vanessa444 MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    One of the advantages of IPv6 includes a practically limitless amount of IP addresses and auto configuration. ISP's will give customers entire blocks of public addresses. I hope those block assignments will be static.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    IMHO no benefit at all. It's needed because the ISP's are running out of addresses.
    IPv6 will be (ab)used to limit again our right of privacy. There will be more control and info again.

Each network-able device is already identified by a unique MAC address (asigned from the manufacturer) and a local network doesn't need new IP addresses. A router and port forwarding is enough to address each own device behind a router from 'outside'.

IPv6 a step further to monitoring and control.