What can we do to quit microsoft forcing this NSA stuff secure boot

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nexus76, Mar 30, 2015.

1. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #1 nexus76, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    As we already learned secure boot doesn't prevent a microsoft operating system from rootkit- or
    virus-infections. It's clearly a NSA development > https://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/HAP_DS.pdf
    However the 'trusted boot' can be abused for tracking by unique signatures or spoofing fake security enviroments.
    Forcing windows 10 upgraders to have secure boot enabled also causes a lock-out of windows 7 as secondary OS
    and some other OS options as unix and linux most likely:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901...-boot-screws-where-does-that-leave-linux.html

Any ideas for efforts to make them (MS) quit this sh!t?
    We should not accept secure boot as a mandatory requirement!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Microsoft isn't forcing anything for upgraders, as of yet. You are probably confusing things with the Windows 10 Logo requirements for OEMs.

3. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #3 nexus76, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    (OP)
    you say it's still optional? I have a bad feeling for having an UEFI-need this time.
    Or is the BIOS/CSM boot process still supported?

you can clearly find what's their plans for windows 10 here:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/81790-windows-10-desktop-mobile-minimum-hardware-spec-revealed/

and it's stated for windows 10 desktop devices

"Devices must use the UEFI 2.3.1 firmware interface and a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)."

Actually I thought about it cause I just updated a Medion Akoya P6812 (2011) of a friend to Windows 10 and it
    doesn't rather have UEFI nor secure boot, so it won't be an option to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 in this case.

From my perspective there's not one single reason for an UEFI or secure boot/TPM must-have in any case.
    Much more my recommendation was to create another windows edition beneath
    windows 10, windows 10 pro, windows 10 enterprise and windows 10 education,
    in fact a military class windows 10 NSA edition if it doesn't already exist, but regular users are not guarded by
    this TPM stuff, I removed CTB-cryptolocker infections even from PCs with secure boot enabled several times.

I just say superfish with secure boot enabled ;) wow

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    If you don't understand what Secure Boot even is or does why are you complaining... please read up about it first.