What controls the Windows Update settings in Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SolidSonicTH, Oct 7, 2014.

1. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH MDL Member

May 16, 2011
    #1 SolidSonicTH, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    It's telling me the updates are managed by the system admin as if this were a server OS but I'm the only user on this PC and it's not on a domain.

Is there some way to disable this behavior?

EDIT: Okay, well, I managed change the setting so I can configure the updates (kinda) by using a Group Policy edit but Windows Update still fails to retrieve any updates (it returns the error "801901F7").

This is a fresh install. Do I need to be signed into an MS account to make this work?

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Updates should work on a local account also no need to sign in MS account

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH MDL Member

May 16, 2011
    Then is the install somehow fudged? I still get an error when trying to check for updates.

Hey! MS! If you're keylogging this then hopefully you're getting something out of what I'm saying!

EDIT: I just tried again and it errored out again but this time with the error code "80072EE2". All I want is consistency!

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    maybe youre install has been crippled try sfc /scannow from command prompt

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH MDL Member

May 16, 2011
    sfc /scannow finished. Windows Update seems to be able to check for updates now but it can't seem to find any (and it keeps claiming I've never checked for updates even though I just did).

Also sfc /scannow produced the following feedback:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.
    (thanks new command prompt with the ability to highlight junk)

Bad times?

6. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    It's a known problem that after a while the main WU screen will say that you never checked for updates and none were installed. But you should see updates in update history. Not that there are many (one or two) aside from Defender.

The sfc /scannow "error" is also extremely common (other threads on this).

7. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH MDL Member

May 16, 2011
    I suppose I can double check to see if anything was installed but I certainly never consented the computer to install anything after attempting to check and it returning nothing.

8. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH MDL Member

May 16, 2011
    A new install fixed the issue with updating. So it must have been a faulty install.

However how do you get rid of the "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" thing? I tried to implement the registry key edits I saw on the Internet but those keys seem to be absent in Windows 10.

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Use Group Policy to override the hardcoded MS value. For the registry way, if keys and values don't exist create them.