What could be the technical reason saving settings doesn't work without FastBoot?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Shoonay, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010
    LOL, I get it, W10 is alpha/pre-alpha/not finished/whatever.

But it doesn't work on W8/8.1 either if you turn off FastBoot.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There was an change of the Kernel in Windows 8/8.1 and for sure in 10TP as well.

Now, the older SB Cards may didn't will work correctly with the newer Kernel's. That those were working with Windows 7 didn't means that they will work with later OS'es. If the hardware developer, in this case Sound Blaster, didn't 'adjust' the driver, they will not work with newer OS'es!

That said, read my initial post again and try other ways like a Macro etc.! May some of that will work! What you've to do is hacking the driver or the system as those guy who got it work on Windows 7!

5. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010
    OMG, dude, work on your English, it sucks. :eek:

Again.
    The driver by daniel_k works fine on W7/W8/8.1/10.
    Music/sounds play fine, programs work fine, there is not a single problem.
    The problem begins when you change the default settings and restart your PC, they go back to default.
    In W8/8.1 the solution is turning on FastBoot, in W10 there's no FastBoot.
    Again, changing the settings works without problems, it's saving them after restart that doesn't work.
    Yes, I can just change the default settings in W10 while running the system and keep it that way, but I'd want to be remembered after restart.

This is what I'm asking here, how the hell does FastBoot influence settings saving in any way?

6. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    When FastBoot is turned on, it means that Windows is not shutting down entirely, session 0 is put into hibernation and the system/kernel state (including driver settings, I guess) is saved on disk and reloaded from the hibernation file on reboot. I think that's the reason your driver settings are maintained when FastBoot is enabled and lost on a "real" shutdown and reboot where everything gets reinitialized. I think it's simply the driver's fault, because it works with hacks, so don't expect that the person who wrote that implemented state saving correctly.

7. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010
    #7 Shoonay, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    (OP)
    Thank you, finally a logical explanation, but I think you skipped one detail: after I did the FastBoot trick on W8/8.1 it now remembers those settings I chose.
    With FastBoot turned off that is, these settings went through hundreds of resets/shutdowns.
    In other words it's only necessary to do that once, when you want to change your settings.

Okay, so I understand the first half - by going to hibernation it saved those settings... somewhere? But now is the tricky part, why it works now?

BTW: I'm not complaining here that it doesn't work, screw that, I'm not changing those settings ever... I'm just curious why it works that way ;)
    I know I could just ask daniel_k but he seems to be very silent on Creative forums, appearing very rarely.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #8 pisthai, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    deleted, my answer was anyway useless to the OP!!

9. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010
    So, was hibernation brought back in the latest builds of W10? Anyone owns a Audigy 2 ZS and could check it? ;)

10. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I have An Audigy 2 ZS but hibernation is not an option with the shutdown menu maybe another way to hibernate :tea:

11. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Oh, finally someone who understands!
    BTW: You do have similar problems like I do with the driver on W8/8.1, right?

12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I have the card in a computer that is not my main computer. But I know it gave me a lot off trouble in the past ! I have now running the card's system on windows 7 and that works fine with the adjusted drivers from creative forum :worthy:

For windows 8/8.1 I could not even get the card working I remember It just was not be found in the Device settings ! :eek:

13. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010
    That sucks, the card is awesome but has so many problems... it works fine now, I can assure you of that, but there is still this super-silly problem with the settings ONLY being saved (somewhere) while hibernation is turned on. After that I can just turn it off and it works... it's magic, nobody knows how it works XD

14. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Maybe it wil be fixed in the CP release ;)

15. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013
    If you are looking for a way to hibernate, open command prompt and type

Shutdown -h

?

16. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010
    #16 Shoonay, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    (OP)
    No, I don't want to just hibernate. I want to shutdown, but with the hibernation option turned on, so the settings will be saved. You know, just like in W8/8.1?

Does it work the exact same way?

17. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010