What data does Microsoft collect or track from us?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Boobliboo, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Boobliboo

Boobliboo MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2012
    I'm on Windows 8 and I was thinking the other day... does Microsoft have a database that logs our Windows SIDs, login names, and computer names? This data would presumably be collected from Windows Error Reports. I have however read that Microsoft uses unique hashing and/or GUIID's (not SIDs?) to categorize and separate data from one system and another.

For public debugging of Windows event errors, warnings, etc. -- is it safe to share one's Windows SID, including login and computer names?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    ... not only M$ has a database of your personal files :cool:

3. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    If you're really concerned about big bad Redmond tracking you, get a penguin :sofa:

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Boobliboo

Boobliboo MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2012
    #5 Boobliboo, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    (OP)
    I get all the sarcasm to make me look like a crazy dumby, I really do. But has anyone actually ever tested to see what info Microsoft collects?

How about the information we willingly send to Microsoft with the Windows Error Report feature? What do they see and has there ever been a report on what they do with it exactly?

Any quick google search will find Microsoft (with mostly their online websites) is not exactly the pro-privacy business it's presumed to maybe be.

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    They want your money via selling you unnecessary OS's (Post W7 of course ;) I'd worry about people who steal your ID than MS and if you use non-exploit licensing then you have no worries unless MS is secretly Big Brother?

:shisha: