What do English names mean?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mdlgaofei, Feb 25, 2016.

1. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    There are lots of English names.For example, the names of MDL members and the products "heldigard" "CODYQX4" "kaspersky" "Google".
    What do "heldigard" "CODYQX4" "kaspersky" and others mean?Please try your furthest to tell me.

2. mal1

mal1 MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2016
    Kaspersky is a family name in eastern Europe, the founder of Kaspersky labs is Eugene Kaspersky.
    As to Google, I'm not sure, it could be another spelling for googol which is ***the number that is written as the number 1 followed by 100 zeros, or 10 to the power 100***

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    None of the name does not mean nothing in another language environment. Meaning is only for a specific language users.
    For example in my country is very popular name (family name) Tamm, which doesn't mean for others nothing, but if to translate, for example to english, it will get its meaning. Then it is oak tree. But for in spanish it is presa, but for romenians it means (now in english) - press, journalism, printing press etc.
    So here it is very important to know which country they are called.
    But sometimes it does not even get the names directly translate, but it is necessary to know what is the name of history.
    For example my real name in my country is Kalju, if translate into english, it will be Rock or Rocky, but it was Pedro initially, for example in some countries it is Peter, in Russia it is Pjotr, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Please post simpler sentences.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #5 Mr.X, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Wow! Unbelievable useless threads and posts you are doing o_O

What is this? What do you pretend?
    For starters you asked for answers in depth, I quoted you above. Then you say "Please post simpler sentences".

What do you pretend? (I almost rhetorically made this question).

6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I have the feeling he is using a translation service - long sentences are hard to translate by machine. I try to keep it simple. Most names have no official meaning. They were picked by our members because they liked these names. Sometimes software names, sometimes persons. Whatever you can relate to. For my name, there is no special reason. I read an article in a magazine and the word ancestor was new to me back then. English is not my native language. I liked the word and used it as a nick name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I chose MrMagic because I can't do any magic at all, and I'm a dog

8. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Sometimes I use translation services.What is the wrong ideal of the foreigners?(When they thinking English)For example,Chinese people.

9. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Why do you think I pretend?

10. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    What are the misunderstandings of foreigners' way of thinking in English?For example,Chinese people.

11. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #11 Muerto, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

12. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    How can I understand which English names aren't made in England but translated into English?

13. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    What's difference between your account names and your real names?

14. #mdlgaofei

Some considered 'Nakamoto' might be a team of people, some considered the code was too well designed for one person. Many articles have been written about the possible identity or identities of "Nakamoto". All theories and speculations about 'Nakamoto' are wrong. 'Nakamoto' is a single individual 40+, Male Japan. 'Nakamoto' speaks Japanese, English, +++ and he has Intercultural Competence. Human don't wait for the perfect moment - take this moment and make it perfect. – 'Satoshi Nakamoto' There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won’t anymore, and who always will. So don’t worry about people from your past, there’s a reason why they didn’t make it to your future.

I am ...

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    One says one thing, the other one says a different thing

16. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    #16 mdlgaofei, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    (OP)
    I saw some images like this.[​IMG]
    Some others show more 'o'.

17. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Do you know the meaning of the names? Heldigard and CODYQX4.
    Heldigard makes kmspico,CODYQX4 makes Microsoft toolkit.
    I send some private messages to them. They didn't reply, so I don't know the meaning of their names.

18. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #18 EFA11, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    I believe Cody's is just his name and some random stuff to fluff it ---ed--- Cody's response http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...-avatars/page7?p=418682&highlight=#post418682 ---- No real meaning. Heldi, not certain. lol

EFA11 = Everything is Free after 11(pm).. before Al Gore invented the internet and before Nubville city limits became popular. Any time after 11pm we could dial into the majority of systems unseen. Most SOPs where home or sleeping at their terminals by then :hangloose:

Funny, not much has changed since then. Automation is better but easy to finger around most systems today lol

19. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    jayblok = i accidentally typed it as a username in another forum ,I was originally going to use FlameDrop as the username then i saw jayblok and i liked it :clap::D:clap:

20. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Turns out that Google is a misspelling of a real-life mathematical term, googol.

Lievre