What do you think of Apple products?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Katzenfreund, Apr 11, 2017.

?

What do you think of Apple products?

1. They are high quality and reasonably priced

47 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. They are good quality but expensive

243 vote(s)
    57.2%
  3. They are regular quality and overpriced

135 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    This is about all Apple products in general, including MacBooks, iPads, iPods, iPhones, SmartWatches etc.

Some people love them and want nothing else, others consider them restrictively proprietary and overpriced.

Have you got any? What do you think of them?
    If not, why not?

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I do own an Apple wired keyboard and mouse A1243 / A1152. I only have it because of the very slim design.

Almost hypocriticaly though I generally dislike Apple. Mainly I think their products are overpriced. Style over substance. 3000 for a half decently specced Mac is ridiculous. I'd sooner buy the parts and self build.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. atoxique

atoxique MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2016
    I have a Hackintosh. I love macOS but I don't like Apple's hardware. They are way too expensive for what you get.

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Quite agree with you. I too have a hackintosh...... Took some time and patience to get it working though. Running Yosemite.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    My opinion is generally in line with the above expressed views.

I don’t own any MAC device. The reason is that, though I consider them of good performance and elegant design, their serious disadvantages prevail. These are:
    High price, too high even allowing for the good quality,
    Proprietary design which makes them incompatible with much free software.
    Difficult/expensive to repair, even replace a rechargeable battery.

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm my humble opinion for Apple products is: made for rich persons, as I'm poor I don't like it simple so :rolleyes:

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Luckily money and goods aren't the only riches in life Tiger ;)

8. kimvn

kimvn MDL Junior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I have iPhone 4, iPad Mini 1, Hacintosh and a 6 years old Macbook Pro (dual core cpu, upgraded to SSD). All of them are 2nd hand but very good quality. I don't have enough money to buy new Apple products
    With Hacintosh, you have 50% of MacOS features, 50% come from Apple hardwares
    P/s: sorry for my bad English

9. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

I like their wallpapers from the Big Cat releases.

10. atoxique

atoxique MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2016
  11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @alextheg yep I agree 100% still I know a lot of rich peoples and are not have my hapiness :biggrin::p

12. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012

Same here. :)

13. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :g: i wonder how every time you manage to start potentially controversial threads, @ katz.. i can smell the smouldering flames already...
    well now, since you asked; in a grey past my late dad bought an apple machine. i got my flippers on it. very stylish everything. but i could do
    nothing with it for lack of free software. so i ran an emulator on it that made w 3.11 run just as `fast`as on my old 80386.. it was like watching the grass grow..
    i have not touched an apple product ever since. and lived happily ever after.and you know what? i never will.;)

14. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Not much.

Someone gave me a mac once, after 2 days of playing with it I gave it back.

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I am trying to get people to learn how to debate maturely with arguments and without personal flaming. It may seem a lost cause at the outset, yet the most obnoxious trouble-makers seem to have subsided, for the time being at least.

The formula is simple: Attack the argument, not the person expressing it. In this case, attack Apple (or MS) products as much as you like, but not their users.

Back on topic, though I’ve expressed negative (overall) views on Apple products, in the last analysis the company must be doing things right, judging by the bottom line – their profits. For them, that’s all that matters.

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hehe still trying stay on topic, for me when talking about Apple products/software I never can forget Mr. Steve Jobs and your high inteligence and vision about all things related to computers he is the man :rip:

17. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    A little over a year ago, wife and I bought two iMacs, two iPads and an iPhone 6s Plus. We're totally satisfied. I've been building and servicing Windows computers and networks for years, but we just got tired of the constant battle with viruses, dodgy updates and the like. As is the usual case, your experiences are your and ours are ours ... you are most welcomed to your reality. We do have a couple of Windows 10 computers and they serve their purpose; Windows 10 Creators Update goes a fair way toward being as good as Apple. Mind you again ... our opinions.
    Yes, they're a little more expensive, but the advantages for us justify the marginal cost increase over comparable Windows machine. Once we started spending time in front of our 4k and 5K monitors, neither of us wanted to use the Windows machines unless we absolutely had to.

18. mbpowner

mbpowner Guest

I didn't realize macs are faster than windows pcs bcuz of ssds, i feel like so much money for it :( LOL, but at least the turbo boost is more useful in mac than in windows. for example, when developing in android studio, i heard that windows spreads tasks across all 4 tasks, whereas mac os waits until one core at a time is filled up, so more efficient due to making more use of turbo boost, then again coulda used linux

19. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    The company must be doing something right or something really really bad..... labour conditions for example.
    But lets be clear, although apple keeps getting in the spotlight for this, they are for sure not the only one.

20. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    I think fondly of some of the older Apple products although I'm not sure that this is totally justified or just nostalgia. My feeling is that them being proprietary and thus on the forefront made sense back then. However lately it seems that every move to break away from standards is just for their own gain and add nothing for the user.
    And yes, they are meant to make money, so in a business sense this shouldn't really surprise anyone, but it breaks away from what they originally at least appeared to stand for. All together that ultimately is the biggest reasons to not like the company and their products as it stands. Everything being wildly overpriced certainly doesn't help either.