[DISCUSSION] Zorin OS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Super Spartan, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Going from the video link, I like it!

Bookmarked the Zorin site and will have a dig around later. Will also try and find some more youtube flicks for more information.

I'm using Linux Mint 17.2 (Rafaela) Cinnamon and its the first and only version I've tried. Was told it was the "goto" flavour for noobs and I really like it.

But I got this feeling if I'm not careful I could turn into one of those "distro whores" I've been reading about :p

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    It's a good distro, except for some reason they want money for the ultimate version.

5. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    It looks great. So do the street walkers in Las Vegas. Running both 9 & 10 Ultimate in VMware. (torrents are your friend if you are a little low on cash this month)

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    You can mod the free version to become the ultimate, why you would want to pirate it makes no sense !

7. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    Finding the torrent was easy enough, but I never trust those things. For windows fine, I know what I'm doing should it contain any nasties, but Linux? no way, I wouldn't have an idea. How do you mean mod? Downloading the extra programs to make it ultimate or a hack?

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek: You don't need to hack anything just tweak it. If you don't know too much about Linux then might be an issue but really don't pirate it

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yes Zorin is a fine distro, I give it to free ups :spoton::spoton:

probably one of the better distros for Windows users wanting to convert.

10. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Ill try it then, and it's only 10 USD guys why pirate!

11. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I didn't know free could be modded to ultimate. (Thanks) Also didn't know that made anyone less of a pirate.

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    It is just Ubuntu with a different wrapper. What else can someone say about it.

13. wzrdrcr

wzrdrcr MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2011
    You be better served by Mint 17.2. I recommend kde or cinnamon editions. Plays dvd,tv sticks and very light weight if on older machines.

14. Mustafa Can

Mustafa Can MDL Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Please don't pay any money to gpl software. You can donate the developer, or you can pay for support. But paying for the software itself is completely aganist gnu philosophy. It's free software guys, why are you paying money for?

15. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    That right there is its main attribute I think.

16. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Zorin 10 looks very very good but its not LTS and will probably be replaced in the new year [support ends in January 2016]. I will hang on for the next LTS release which will contain all the new upgraded bells and whistles.

I wont install Zorin 10 as it has such a short life expectancy but I have been playing with a pirated 10 Ultimate just to check it out. I will happily pay the small sum they ask for a genuine copy of the next LTS Ultimate release. The Ultimate version contains such a huge software package that it's well worth the money [£7.50 UK is hardly a fee], it must have taken a lot of work to compile. Try to add the same extra programs to the free version yourself and I can almost guarantee that a few will cause problems, save yourself a few headaches and dip your hand in your pocket [when the time comes]

Zorin 9 is the LTS release at the moment, its probably fine but not as pretty and not as fast.

17. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015

My thoughts exactly. I was going to fork out the $ and then seen it would only be supported for a few months. I too will wait for a LTS release, but am unaware how long the wait will be. Any idea's when it will be available?

Would be something nice for Christmas and also give me something to play with over the holidays :biggrin:

18. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    They probably dont know themselves :biggrin:

19. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    #19 thorin0815, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Probably when there is a new Ubutu LTS. ;)

Edit: Maybe you can spend some time with Mint Cinnamon as an alternative, I like it very much and you can use a Zorin OS 10 theme with it.

20. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The next LTS release (16.04) of Ubuntu is April next year. Then they have to add their mods to it, so will be sometime next year.
    Better off just sticking to the official Ubuntu packages and stay away from derivatives if you're new to Linux. Crap like Mint and the lot won't do you any good for now.