[DISCUSSION] Zorin OS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Super Spartan, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014

Following that logic, you might as well go with Debian because all that crap like Ubuntu is is modified Debian packages.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I would recommend Debian if you want to die a slow horrendous death waiting for your software to update to a new version :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #23 Skaendo, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    All I'm saying is that comparing distros that are all based on Debian is like comparing polished turds. Everyone who polishes one might use a different polish and some might look better than others, then someone takes that turd and polishes it again, but underneath they are all still turds.

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Might as well just call all Linux turds and be done with it, since the same thing is replicated on Arch with Manjaro, Antergos, Apricity !

5. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I have dabbled with Linux for years but I have always gone back to Windows, there is always something in Linux that defeats me. Ubuntu is flawed but it is very user friendly as are its various modded off shoots. I like Zorin Ultimate because it contains a lot of software and the dependencies required to make them work. It is the best Linux alternative for Windows defectors, I would prefer that Zorin were Debian based rather that Ubuntu but no one else as far as I know is offering such a comprehensive package of software. For me as a competent Windows user and a little less competent Linux user I would go for a SolydK Ultimate if there were such a beast.

This ultimate package is the big draw for me, I wish others would offer the same option. I would happily part with a few quid for such a comprehensive package. I don't believe that the charge for a very comprehensive package of software is going against the spirit of Linux as long as the core OS remains free. The Windows/OSX themes are a distraction, the desktop is not a big deal when switching, its getting the programs you need installed and working correctly that's the stumbling block.

6. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    I agree that anything with a 6 month lifecycle is ludicrous. I thought Ubuntu was bad when they only supported their non-LTS releases for 18 months. I really believe that Mint got it right with version 17. Keep the base OS stable with LTS and apply only security updates along with updated applications to the point releases (ie 17.1, 17.2, 17.3).

7. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Zorin = Ubuntu = Debian. Although I don't think that you can pull packages from Debian for Zorin etc. I'm not sure about that though.

I think that a year to 18 months is a good cycle. For Debian based distros as versatile as apt is, it is extremely easy to update to a new release. Hell, Slackware is going on 2 years for 14.1, but most desktop users are running -current which is more like a rolling release.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #28 gorski, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
  10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx but I'd rather learn, if it ain't too techy... ;)

11. scienter

scienter MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2015
    I love Linux as a CLI server OS but never have enjoyed it as a desktop OS. I'm sticking to Debian for the consistency.

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    What, no hints to modding it to Ult version? :(

13. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #33 SOCRATE_MMXII, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Downloaded 10 Ultimate from torrents... :D and v. 9 Ult - both 64b.

Tried downloading Education 9 - but looked like it's broken...

When I get a chance, I will report back!

Thanx!

15. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    What are people saying about it? I am yet to try it, but when I read that people say its buggy ...??? :eek:

16. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Users complain about Zorin 10 being buggy and use Zorin 9.

17. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I have been running Zorin 10 for 24 hrs, just one bug so far. Installing the driver for my WiFi card, it was easy but Zorin just refuses to let me activate the card:(

18. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #38 SOCRATE_MMXII, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  19. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Been using Zorin 9 Ultimate on an older Dell laptop - D530. Runs perfectly. Haven't had a single issue. All the hardware works and I love the look. I'm narrowing down my choice for a single distro between Zorin and Mint. I tried BunsenLabs and was never able to find the system settings. :confused:

Practically every distro I boot live on my Dell Inspiron 7746 runs perfectly, out of the box, including Wifi and touch screen.

20. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Never heard of Zorin OS. Is it made by Zorin Industries? Sounds like the OS of an evil villain from a movie ;)