What does osx bring to the table?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mamamia88, Jan 2, 2010.

1. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    i want to know why people would go through the trouble of installing osx on non apple hardware when you could just use a linux/windows dualboot and get the same stuff done.

2. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I just bought my first mac yesterday and after playing around for a few hours, I see nothing that "cool" with OS X. There are some okay shortcuts but nothing really much better than windows. The main reason to make a hackintosh is to run software that only runs in OS X (I suppose there are not emulators or virtual machines available).

The other reason is that powerpoint on the mac runs much better in presentation mode.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Because they can?
    Because it is fun?
    Because they can not afford real overpriced Mac?

At least that does it for me

sebus

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    those were the same reasons for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    That's exactly the point.

6. chaddawkins

chaddawkins MDL Senior Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Macs bore the hell out of me

7. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    You can always find a Linux/BSD/*NIX port for the same software.
    I daresay Apple ported more software over to OS X than the reverse.

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    For those reasons also and i think its a much better looking GUI. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    too much reading, googling, et al -> internet bill
    nights spent in reading docs, asking in forums, chatting in irc, asking others -> time spent
    not knowing/ignoring the fact, linux/unix/bsd does the same and or better?
    there are some OS you dont need money to buy, or expensive hardware to run a peculiar software, downloading the leading and the bleeding edge software and having a massive fun at the expense of 0 pay? -> Priceless.
    the open source master card ad. :-D

10. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    MAC is history. The downturn started when they mover away from MOTOROLA processors. They had the edge then in certain industries.
    The advent or better INTEL silicon coupled with some improvements in MS and they silly stubborn hardware closure protection makes MAC another SUN Microsystems history. They are a glorified Linux at extreme high cost.

The advancement of connection to home/buildings with fibre will make PC's to be another "phone apparatus" to a socket. Not even OS's are going to be there. It is return to mainframe cloud computing and either the supply of Layer 2 or 3 services to end users, we will pay for every frame and packet..............period!

Linux, somehow and IBM (this later one has been waiting for blood revenge against Bill and his DOS system for 20 years?) will emerge winners.

11. rupsd

rupsd MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    What ibm is planning??

12. neo11

neo11 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2010
    One thing it doesnt bring is virus vulnerability :D

13. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I've just managed to build my first "Hackintosh"....... Same hardware but 5th time lucky. I found iAtkos and it was so easy........... sad thing is now i have it installed........ I have no idea what i'm going to do with it!!! But if you want a VERY cheap Mac.....

Asus P5KPL-AM SE Motherboard £29
    Intel Celeron E3300 £35
    Old SataII Seagate 250GB i had laying about so say £30 if you need to buy one
    4GB DDR2 800 Ram again laying around but i'm sure it would run on 2GB fine so £35
    Asus 9600GT 1GB graphics card again was laying around...... BUT i got the onboard Intel graphics working too so not needed really

It even updated from 10.6.3 - 10.6.4 don't ask me if thats the latest ..... cos i don't know lol

Give me a Windows machine anyday!!!!

14. tingtze

tingtze MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2010
    It is because the OSX population is too small for virus to be effective, virus is a piece of software, it is plateform independent.

15. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    So very true Mac's I find to be somewhat a pain to use cause I'm so used to windows cause I've been using it since windows 98 SE....

16. neo11

neo11 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2010
    Uh no it's because it's a totally different architecture dirived grom 4bsd. totally different security model . Same reason Linux/4.4bsd/System V doesn't doesn't
    get them. They can get worms however but it requires more work to infect them.
    The OSX population isn't that small really. And viruses are by their nature are
    platform dependent.:rolleyes:

17. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
  18. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Yep yep its all a matter of what everybody prefers...
    I have almost no experience with MAC's....
    To each there own...

19. msm5

msm5 MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    It's all preference. Plus it's a challenge to use hardware in a way it's not intended.