What does phone home mean?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I keep hearing that Windows 10 is phoning home or X app is phoning home. What does phoning home mean? Who's phone is it calling and how can it call if I have no telephone line in my computer? Seriously??:g:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AzTec

AzTec MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Famous quote by none other than ET Himself when one of the first words he said was 'Phone Home'
    Since then Windows has and still will phone home, ie: message pop up saying 'Send Error Report' except in this case no:253496/125:-204 Windows 10 will just send error reports and what ever else it pleases when you are conncted to the internet, you know that gateway that enables you to view websites like this one, that right, the very same one that i can see as well.

I hope that is may explain some of the wounderful things that modern tech can do.

no phones were harmed in making this post
    thankyou

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sagem

sagem MDL Junior Member

Mar 3, 2011
    that reminds me of incredi crap mail.
    have a cracked copy at the sucker calls home
    then get a nasty email asking to remove it.

4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  5. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Did you email them back telling them you would not comply? :D

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Don't worry about it, it's part of life, but if you go deleting things, turning things off that should not be, then you have a shell of a OS, that will not act as advertised, which in the end will have you reinstalling OS to get back to a system that functions as expected, so people have gone to the extreme on this, I guess because it's last OS, and since there isn't much happening, let's all get on the spyware & Phone home wagon, BS,
    Do not alter your system, because in the end, who's going to have to reinstall OS, YOU, and only you, you disable, delete all these things, we can not help you as you have deleted half the OS, So the choice is yours, do you really care if MS knows what's on your Grocery List, if so Trash your OS, yes we care here at MDL care, but not much we can do with half a OS. :D

7. shanye

shanye MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2015
    There is no evidence that removing telemetry thrashes the OS.

8. oroku

oroku MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2011
    Don't bother listening to lobo11, he's on this brigade of multiple posting trying to dissuade people. As long as you are following the guides and are not going haywire you will be fine. We're more than willing to answer questions as this is what this community is all about.

Americans had the right to privacy, this is not apart of life, this is new age thinking. I still don't understand why you're trying sway people from their own natural thinking and trying to scare them off from trying to take back their rights.

I shine my flashlight on you, you have been seen!

9. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
  10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I welcome your flashlight and when the stuff hits the fan, how are you going to help these people, save them from MS, that is not who you should be worried about, the NSA. I can't wait till WU tries to update something you have deleted. The whole point of your exercise is to stop spyware, you have not stopped all of it, you never will, but have torn OS apart where it does not act as it should, so for all that want this, don't cry when reinstalling OS, me, I have not even used a registry cleaner, as OS is to new, and I have no idea what it's deleting or why, careful, yes, because I want everything to work like it supposed to.:D

11. Evides

Evides MDL Member

Apr 6, 2014
    #12 Evides, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    I do, if they sell this information to my health insurance company.
    If they decide that my food-intake is not healthty enough and that I buy cigarettes, they raise my monthly premium, or kick me out of the insurance.
    This leakage of information can be more harmfull than you can imagine right now.

12. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I bet you can't wait for your doctor to start using win 10, this way they'll know all about you medical profile. LOL:biggrin:

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I give up, just remember all this when your up late at night y/n

14. Evides

Evides MDL Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I live in the Netherlands, our privacy is violated in so many ways by our own governement, you'll be surprised...

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Here too, MS is small potatoes:D

16. Evides

Evides MDL Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Listen guys, I'm just giving an example about how it can be in the future, we are getting really worried overhere... :rolleyes:
    Coming januari 2016 we all have to get new license plates for our cars, with GPS build in, so they can track 17.000.000 civilians wherever they go.
    And it's mandatory, no buts.
    Long live the European government...:(

17. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Think I'd be looking for a plane ticket, If they let you:worthy::worthy:

18. oroku

oroku MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2011