What exactly is BIOS Modding..

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by R3SIS7ANC3, Jan 1, 2013.

1. R3SIS7ANC3

R3SIS7ANC3 MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2013
    I am new to this side of computing and i am very interested as to what exactly is BIOS Modding. i stumbled on to this here Forum's while looking for a way to clear/reset my BIOS password for my Lenovo Laptop. it has a Phoenix BIOS and i can not access my BIOS config menu's because of a forgotten password. i have still not resolved my issue and i am wondering if there is a way to Clear/Reset my BIOS password using the techniques of BIOS Modding you guys have listed in these Forum's.
    any help and education will be greatly appreciated, Thank You:worthy:

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. Recursion

Recursion MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #3 Recursion, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    You can also update option rom, like amd raid, amd ahci, realtek ethernet nic, etc. pp. Then you can also write your own option rom and control your pc and you can overclock and undervolt your video card. Then you can unlock hidden bios menu. For example enable hardware vt-support together with the cpu..

4. jsmiddleton4

jsmiddleton4 MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    In general the term is used for 2 different types of bios modifying.

1. The bios you install on your computer is assembled from pieces. In the assembly process on the way to the final firmware you can use newer pieces or different pieces. The "old" bios is disassembled and then reassembled with the new or different pieces resulting in the "modified" or new bios. This doesn't typically change the bios in terms of what you will see in its setup, does not turn on any hidden options, does not add user configurable options that were not already in the "old" bios. I say "typically" because if one of the new pieces adds an option, adding RAID 5 might be an example, then an end user would see a new option. That is not the norm however.

2. Changing the code/software that is each piece. This is typically where you can add or remove options that you see when looking at the firmware or where a person could make permanent changes to the defaults of the firmware and in that case you'd not see any new options when looking at the firmware. This requires some working knowledge of code level programming as well as some of what I described in #1.

Not that #1 is easy, I appreciate the work folks have done so we can update our bioses, in comparison #1 is easier than #2.

Just like in real life.