what faulty hardware might make the mouse and keyboard get stuck?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Holden von Vloppen, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    I thought it was Windows 7 updates that were making my mouse temporarily freeze. You can see my thread about that here:

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...se-performance?p=768361&highlight=#post768361

I would update and then get mouse freezes, then it would work again. However, now I don't think so. I thought I had it fixed via denying a specific update, but it started freezing AGAIN. This was with Windows 7. I then put Kubuntu Linux 13.04 on the PC and got the same mouse freezes. It will get stuck when you're trying to move it and then move again. It never completely freezes to a dead standstill. I didn't realize it before, but it's the same thing with the keyboard. You'll be typing something and the letters will quit coming up and then after a pause the letters you're currently typing come up, skipping everything typed during the pause.

I don't think it's the mouse because I get the same exact crap with three different mice -- one wireless Microsoft laser mouse, one cheapy Microsoft corded mouse, and one wireless optical Dell mouse. Same BS with all the mice.

I suspect my memory may be crapping out, but I'm not sure. It would suck to buy some memory for an older machine (I think it takes PC 2700/3200, but I'm not sure) only to have it not solve the problem. Is it possible this is a hard drive or a motherboard problem? And how do I find out?

If I would have to sink too much money into this PC, I would be better off buying a no-OS PC online and installing Win 7 and Kubuntu.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    memtest86 will check your RAM

Wired and Wireless both use USB ? Maybe it's another USB device or a USB hardware issue

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
  4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    when i ran into a bad dvd or hdd it did this.

logic is IRQ is not able to receive requests because of hardware failure like dvd or hdd or even bad board/cpu