what happen if install more than one antivirus?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by azrul, Feb 2, 2009.

1. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    just bought an aspire 4935,running on windows xp sp3.
    i install kaspersky internet security,norton antivirus and avg.
    the reason is.its free.and two head is better than one.
    but i heard someone said that one pc should have only one antivirus.dont know what the reason is.
    is it true and why?

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Too many cooks . . .

In the first place, one is enough. Secondly, some AV progs will not function with another installed.

Suites like Kaspersky, and the free version of Comodo, are more than adequate.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    i still using the 3 av,and add a comodo,know what happen?
    after about 1 to 2 minutes a blue windows came up and said something about a problem occur and other things.cant read it,cause it appear only for a sec.
    and then my laptop restart again,same things happen everytime.
    so i uninstall comodo quickly.scare the s**t out of me.
    u r right bro,one is enough.
    but what actually is happening?i browse comodo for a while,its seem like it is better than other av.to bad i have to uninstall it.

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #4 HMonk, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    u got a special way of explaining computer stuff to people.its really a fun to read.u have a very good english,and quiet beutiful too.what u do for a living?an english teacher?

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #6 HMonk, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    Who me? Ah shucks . . . .

Thanks Azrul.

Actually, I am a retired healthcare administrator. I now write (fiction, non-fiction articles, training/white papers, blogs). Keeps me off the streets where I tend to get into too much mischief (read as: sucker for a pretty face). :cool:

Monk

7. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Curious

1. Why subject oneself to redundant scanning?

2. And, if redundant scanning does, indeed, yield a higher percentage of hits, when is enough scanning enough?

3. Is there any guarantee that if I scan, say, 20 times with different AV engines/definitions that I cannot become infected? Still possible?

4. OK, how about if I scan 50 times?

5. And, if one is constantly attacked, is one practicing safe surfing?

6. And who has or wants to take the time to scan redundantly?

7. And am I content with all of these scanning processes eating all of my RAM and rendering my machine a coffee-cup holder?

I know, I will employ one AV prog that is reputed to afford reliable protection and use the hours I saved for more fruitful endeavors - like offering intelligible solutions to pragmatic issues.

Monk

8. darrenalex

darrenalex MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Hi azrul...
    First of i don't think its possible. When install second anti virus, it shows you that anti virus already exist , you have to remove it and after that restart computer than you able to install new anti virus...

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can install more than one antivirus the same as you can install another firewall program but it is not good practice they will clash:(