What happens if I disable my video driver?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by AnimeFrostyFreak671, Oct 12, 2011.

1. AnimeFrostyFreak671

AnimeFrostyFreak671 MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2010
    I'm thinking of trying to run an old dos game "Blood" without using Dosbox.
    And whenever I run the game it says. "This system does not support full screen mode. Close or Ignore?"
    I already know that Windows 7 doesn't support dos programs anymore but I read somewhere that you can run DOS Programs on Windows 7 if you disable your video driver.
    Can you tell me what happens if I disable it?

2. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Uh...if you disable your video driver Windows will simply fall back to VGA mode once you restart it. That's assuming it'll even let you disable the driver instead of uninstalling it. I dunno and I ain't about to try it myself. :p

Regardless, that's pretty weird advice for trying to run an old game anyway. Why not use DOSBox and be done with it? Why try it without?

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I tried it once (disabling in device manager) and my screen went black.
    You have to press winkey + r (open run dialog), type "shutdown.exe -r -t 00", then ENTER to reboot your pc, it will boot with the device enabled again.
    Or of course if you know exactly how to reach the shutdown button in the start menu with your mouse you could try clicking that.

It's not like disabling your video driver forces windows into some kind of dos mode, it simply turns of your graphical card. This implies that no signals at all will be send to your screen anymore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
  5. AnimeFrostyFreak671

AnimeFrostyFreak671 MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2010
    To those of you who said it goes black when you disable it, then there must be something wrong with your computer lol.
    When I disabled it, it simply went into VGA Mode with no black screens or errors.
    Then I played my game and it worked!
    Thanks for the info anyways.

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I have nvidia -> sandy bridge GPU -> screen in laptop. It goes back when disabling the intel. Maybe because it's built into the cpu it's different than if the screen would be connected directly to a real graphical card.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    did you have external vga connector on your laptop (for projector or ctr/tft monitor) ?
    try to invoke picture pressing fn + monitor sign on keyboard.
    this function have 3 mode:
    1. laptop display only
    2. vga display only (laptop screen is black)
    3. works together laptop display and external.

when you disable current display, sistem switch to another active (external vga) and your laptop screen was black.

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    That could be it, but it's not a problem really, it's not like I'm going to disable my video card every day :)

9. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Gee, I wonder what happens if I disable my CPU--um, why isn't the mouse moving now? Hey! Everything's frozen...Dammit! :D