What Happens If I Disable The GWX Notification Program?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChaserLee, Jun 1, 2015.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Hello, all. This morning, I started getting a new notification in my System Tray, wanting me to reserve my upgrade to Windows 10. Task Manager calls the process GWX, and it's located in the Windows\System32 directory. Will it cause any adverse effects if I disable the startup of that program? I realize I can just hide the icon, but I really don't want another program running in the background, and possibly monitoring my every move, then sending that information to MS.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. boegie59

boegie59 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    I removed the GWX folder in system 32 and the notification is gone. I don't like notifications wich I could not turn off

3. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Alright, I've either asked a really dumb question, or my breath smells, and I don't think my breath smells.... :eek:

So, let me ask the question in another way. I realize that I can get rid of the GWX prompt, and program altogether by just uninstalling Windows Update KB3035583, but that's not really what I want to know.

What I'd really like to know is will doing either an uninstall, or just disabling the program from running, have an adverse affect on my system somehow? Yes, I did a forum search for "GWX" and came up with nothing at all. Almost 90 folks here have viewed my question, but only 1 reply? I know you regs are MUCH smarter than that!!

Would someone please share some insight with me?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Nothing...

5. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Thank you for your elucidation!