What happens if I update a laptop manually?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    So my wife has a Dell Vostro laptop that is running Windows 8.1 Single Language, everytime I try to force the update to Windows 10 to start via the wauaclt.exe /updatenow command in DOS, the update starts then fails midway

The question is, if I insert my Windows 10 Single Language DVD and run the upgrade manually, will that actually upgrade her key to a Windows 10 key or it must be done through Windows update?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    it will be good, give it a shot

3. pvbers

pvbers MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    upgrade windows 10 disaster

I upgraded my laptop from 8.1 to 10. On restart the message was - missing operation system-.
    I checked my harddisk; it was complete empty and unformatted. Lost 8.1 and 10.
    I hate Microsoft!!!!
    OK i have a backup; did 3 other tries al with the same result!
    Clean installing windows 10 from a dvd works ok, but then no activation is possible.
    Anyone had the same result or can tell me what may be wrong?

4. sps

sps MDL Member

Feb 6, 2008
  5. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    You must upgrade from 7 or 8.1 and then do a clean install after that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. abilash10

abilash10 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    i did sucessfully upgrdae in my desktop by downloding iso file

7. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Was the drive encrypted?

8. eemuler

Jul 31, 2015
    Can you check the disk before and after? MBR or GPT. What is the BIOS setting? Legacy or UEFI?

9. pvbers

pvbers MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    MBR before upgrade and after unformatted /empty disk.
    No UEFI bios.

Thanks for replies.

10. eemuler

Jul 31, 2015
    Is there a BIOS update available on the manufacturer's website? Sometimes this fixes weird stuff like this.

What is the SSD like? Regular 2.5" SSD or something different? Maybe even 2 or more connected in RAID configuration. If so, could be you need to load drivers for the RAID controller so Windows 10 knows how to deal with it.

You could also ask in the forum section for your laptop at notebookreview.com.

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Windows 10 will load drivers for RST, and so will 8.

What can't happen is a MBR install, then a RAID in UEFI, it will cause ACT error.

12. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You can place the ISO on desktop, extract it, they run Setup. You can burn to a stick and install and use the upgrade option.

Have you checked to make sure your SSD has the newest firmware ? If you can get your original windows key, you should secure erase the SSD, and do a clear CMOS, redo all your BIOS settings like making sure you're in AHCI, install your original OS, then try the upgrade. Make sure either win 7 an 8 have all the updates to today.

Do this if all options fail, as there are a lot of updates to install on a clean install.

13. Wulung

Wulung MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    I have no issue with manual upgrade.

The upgrade on my computer (using windows update) was failed 3 times, with windows update keep retry download the package from beginning. It looks the package was flush every times it failed.
    Finally, I download the ISO file and extract it. Run the setup.exe and next 20 minutes, the upgrade completed and activated.

The previous OS is Win 8.1 Pro Channel: VOLUME_MAK. And, the computer is using SSD with GPT and UEFI BIOS.

No issue at all.

14. pvbers

pvbers MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009

OK, you speak about - my computer -. Do you mean a laptop with SSD disk, because that seems to be the problem with upgrading for many Laptop users.

15. Edwe

Edwe MDL Member

Sep 1, 2011
    What do you mean by unformatted?

16. Wulung

Wulung MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    My computer is Clevo W650SJ laptop with OCZ Vertex 4 256GB as primary and 500GB Hitachi 7200RPM as secondary. takes only about 20minutes to complete the upgrade.

When the Windows Update upgrade failed, I was thinking to re-install with Windows 7 Pro retail.
    But, then I found someone posting successful upgrade using setup.exe.
    Then i tried and success.
    In very early upgrade process, there is option to select to keep existing programs and files. I choose it.
    Another thing is my computer was always connected to internet. I think in some points it need to connect to MS.

Now, I already performed clean install.

17. umbrokhan786

umbrokhan786 MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I upgraded my nephew laptop by using Windows 10 ISO.

I went on Microsoft website and download the ISO manualy.

And it worked and gave me a new windows 10 key. You can check new key with jelly bean key finder to see if your upgrade key changed or not.

Make sure it's not this key 3V66T.

18. pvbers

pvbers MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    OK i did it !!
    Most people have the problem with a laptop with a SSD disk. So have I.
    So I borrowed a 2.5 inch harddisk from a other computer.
    I made an image from my SSD disk and transferred it to the harddisk.
    I started the laptop from the harrddisk and started the windows 10 upgrade from a dvd.
    And to my surprise the upgrade went well!!
    Windows 10 was activated.
    After that I made an image from the harddisk with windows 10 on it, and transferred the image to my SSD disk.
    I placed the SSD disk back in the laptop and started; windows 10 started and was activated!!!

Very strange that replacing a SSD disk with a Harddisk solves the problem.
    I have no explanation, but I am on Windows 10 now.

Next step will be to try a clean install, after making an image so that i can go back in case of failure.

Laptop:
    Clevo W150ER
    Intell i7 3630QM 2.4 Ghz
    DDR3 8 GB
    Samsung SSD 840 120 GB
    Hitachi HD 500 GB
    Wifi Intell Centrino N135
    Lan Realtek PCI GBE family