What happens to my Win 8 Pro key now?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Phoenix, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I used a Win 8 OEM unused /unopened key that DELL had given me for my Alienware 18 but I never used it and I installed Windows 8.1 Pro on my Origin PC Millennium desktop, activated it, then upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro

They key remained the same and didn't change even on Windows 10

Now I did a clean install later on of Windows 10 so obviously the option to rollback to the previous OS isn't there.

Let's say I wanna go back to Windows 8.1 Pro, can I do that now or would the key not activate Windows 8.1 Pro anymore?

how does this work?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    the key is still good for 8.1, it isn't eaten by 10. Go back anytime you choose. As far as the OEM:DM key, it too is still good. No keys are harmed in the process.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Perfect!!! thanks a lot man

so what about that rule that you have 30 days to downgrade? if after 30 days I don't activate that same key on Windows 8.1 then it would not be valid for Windows 8.1 anymorew or is it valid for both OSes for good since it's an OEM key?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pasw6

pasw6 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Best way to go back to your previous OS to Image your partition before any upgrade...
    did multiple win 10 install and went back to win 8.1 multiple time, every time Windows was activated
    either win10, win7 or win 8.1

Back your partition OS.. ;)

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    the 30 days gives you time to back out of your upgrade before the remove the windows.old files, has nothing to do with keys.

When you hear "Windows 10 consumes the license" it is only while windows 10 is installed. once you revert to a previous OS, the previous OS takes its proper place in the key chain.

At any time, now or 10 years from now you can remove 10 and go back to your old OS using the old keys without an issue. Win10 doesn't like keys for upgrades, it rather eat your data :D

6. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    haha, thanks man I like your sense of humor! cheers boss :)

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ J-Lawrence, I take it this was free windows 8 upgrade disk dell gave you to update if it was from windows 7 if so could you not have just upgraded to 10 from that. If it was OEM: DM key it would have came with windows 8 pre-installed and key would have been in bios.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Here is the deal.

My Alienware 18 was bought with a Windows 8 key in the BIOS and a separate pre-activated Windows 7 Alienware Edition DVD (it is basically a normal Windows 7 but has all the Alienware icons and logon screens and wallpapers out of the box but is pre-activated)

next, what happened is, my Alienware's motherboard got damaged somewhow so DELL sent me a technician home with a new motherboard and he had a windows 8 sleeve which he gave me, it was an unopened Windows 8 Pro key which I never used or activated on the Alienware...

now when I got my Origin PC desktop, I bought it with Windows 7 Pro originally and it has a Windows 7 Pro key (I think it's OEM because when I tried downloading Windows 7 from MS the other day when it asked for a key, I put in that key and then it told me this is an OEM key and I need to contact my PC manufacturer)

next... what I did is, I used that unopened Windows 8 Pro key which the dell technician gave me and installed Windows 8.1 Pro on the Origin PC Millennium desktop then it upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. When checking what my current key is, I was surprised the key didn't change and it was the same Windows 8 Pro key...

this is why I was asking this question as I was very confused....