What happens to the serial key when you return a computer with Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zyzz, May 6, 2012.

1. zyzz

zyzz MDL Novice

May 6, 2012
    Thread Title ^ What happens? My friend returned a laptop and I wrote down the serial. It was Windows Home Edition. Not that I needed it, but I did anyway. Is this key reusable again?

2. prathaprabhumicrosoft

Jan 20, 2012
    Nothing and Yes of course you can use the key but if someone buy the same laptop may have problem with the activation if the key is used or leaked.

3. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    #3 sid_16, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
    As far as I know the laptop with preinstalled windows7 home edition (Original Equipment Manufacture, OEM branded) has a modified bios with slic (system licensing internal code) 2.1 that activate the OS but that oem key can be reusable only when the bios of another computer has the same slic 2.1, otherwise the oem key is useless.
    sid_16.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    another person buying the laptop would only have problems if they ever had to wipe and reinstall windows without using the recovery partition.

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
    They re-sell them to little old ladies in rest homes who wouldn't know a serial key from a skeleton key. :wheelchair:

6. zyzz

zyzz MDL Novice

May 6, 2012
    ah right it would be an OEM key. So if it was a Toshiba only a similar Toshiba could use the serial. and with a serial like that you can only use it a few times, correct? maybe I will just throw it out lol. I never buy prebuilt PC's and I have Win 7 64bit Ultimate.

7. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    my thoughts..............you can use the key whenever you want, but you won't be able to activate over the internet; you'll get a message that the key can only be activated through other means.....use the phone system, you'll get asked a couple of automated questions, select #1 yes you've used the key before and #1 yes the previous installation has been wiped then they'll give you another activation code and away you go.
    I've done this at least 10 times on various machines, with Ultimate, Pro and Home Premium.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #8 urie, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

My Thoughts, why copy your friends or oem:coa key as already stated if he has recovery dvd's or partition he can restore his system if not he goes to use his COA:KEY and you have already used it :eek: