What if we were to turn off Windows Update?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 5hj, Jul 31, 2009.

1. 5hj

5hj MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #1 5hj, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    I heard that Microsoft are probably going to blacklist the leaked product key. I'm not very technical, but if we were to turn off Windows Update, wouldn't our copies of Windows 7 Ultimate stay activated? By the time Microsoft starts releasing updates, new product keys will be available, so we'll be able turn Windows Update back on. I'm most likely wrong, but it's just an idea. Sorry for being a newbie. :eek:

2. W7advanced

W7advanced MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    I think you are right, and i also think that we will see updates any time now. ;)

3. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Yes, it'll work. Just relax... there will be a new key or workaround soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jas0nuk

jas0nuk MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 jas0nuk, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Theoretically, adding the following to your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS file may stop the key being revoked on your machine:

Code:
    0.0.0.0 sls.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0 mpa.one.microsoft.com
    We don't know if they're going to do anything yet. They're still using the excuse of "getting infected with malware" to stop people using the loaders. Pathetic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #5 Bagheera, Jul 31, 2009
    Hi bro.. i think we know each other from a other forum.. but should it not be
    127.x.x.x (Local loopback adresses)
    Because 0.0.0.0 is de default route when no particular route is given?..
    am confused about your post.. :)

Edited
    tested with ping cmd to sls.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0. works also... hmm new day to learn...

6. Monsta Kody

Monsta Kody MDL Junior Member

Jun 15, 2009
    #6 Monsta Kody, Jul 31, 2009

This is a workarround for WinXP not Vista or W7.

The only way they can stop the key from beeing revoked or 187 is thru WU.

Like in Vista if they update WGA , WU will download the small update before doing the actual update scanning.

So if they update WGA and Wu wants to install this before scanning , dont click it and use manual updates from the msmell kb articles, some require the wga check but thats no show stopper until a fine fresh cannot stop the s**t-fan anymore course its to late serial appears ;)