what if......

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Deb_Rider, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    as we know,when we create partitions while installing windows 7, a partition of size 100mb, named 'system reserved partition' is automatically created...

What will happen,if we format that drive?????

2. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    BootMGR will not be able to load configuration and the system will not boot.

3. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Lately, the past 5 times I have formatted, Windows did not create that 100 mb partition and I boot just fine....how come

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    you dont have to accept it ,even if windows makes it .as soon as its created ,delete it before going any further ,you will get a warning ,ignore it carry on with your installation ,it (WILL) be bootable ,and as soon as you are up and running you can simply resize your OS partition to absorb the 100mb ,and it will be as if it never existed .
    also if you have multi partitions ,and you have windows OS files on any of them ,it wont even try to create one.
    I have 7 OSs on this PC from Vista32bit to win7 64bit and from Homebasic (n) to Ultimate .
    and the only time it created a 100mb boot partition was during the install for the first OS ., did as above and every thing is sweet ,all fully activated and working faultlessly.

5. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    If you install windows to a partition marked "active" it will not create the 100MB partition but will install bootmgr and files on the active partition. That's how I setup my systems to avoid superfluous partitions.

6. Deb_Rider

Aug 21, 2010
    #6 Deb_Rider, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    (OP)

I have also formated that partition before...
    nothings Terrible happened...
    So what is the work of that partition then?????:confused:

7. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    What do you think yourself?
    I simply is a 'Safe' boot device, unavailable for you the end user on a running system, so less chance you f**k up the bootrecord

8. Deb_Rider

Aug 21, 2010

I didn't understand....

9. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    The 100 mb reserved space contains a local copy of the System Recovery tools (the stuff that boots your computer in recovery mode) and (if used) some Bitlocker components. That way you have the recovery tools right on the drive itself, you dont need your win7 install dvd in most cases. But its created only when you are installing Win7 on a fresh hard disk that has unallocated space.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Closing this thread it has all been discussed before on forum.