What impact does running Daz's loader have on other guest OSs on an ESXI 5.5 host?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by somethingsilly, Nov 26, 2015.

1. somethingsilly

somethingsilly MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2014
    Will it even work? Does it mess up the activation of the other OSs?

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Nothing. Yes it still works. No it doesn't mess up activation on other OS's because they are separate from one another

3. somethingsilly

Jul 22, 2014
    #3 somethingsilly, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    (OP)
    that's what I thought, but then why are there all these threads in the Virtualization thread about manually extracting and modding the SLICs from the VMWare exes?

Like, what is this whole thread for? hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/12982-ESX-ESXi-Bios-Tools

4. pix

pix MDL Member

Nov 3, 2008
    You need to read up on how HyperVisors work and all will become clear.

Each guest is isolated and has it's own copy of the bios. The bios inside the HyperVisor that is substituted using ESXBiosTools can be considered as the master copy.

And if you use Daz's tools, you don't need to replace the bios as Daz's tool simulates the tables needed to activate.

5. somethingsilly

Jul 22, 2014
    I guess what I don't understand is what value a "master copy" has if you have multiple different Guest OSs. Doesn't the BIOS provide an OEM license for a single specific OS?

6. pix

pix MDL Member

Nov 3, 2008
    No. One bios can contain tables (or magic strings for older versions) suitable for many generations of SLP

7. somethingsilly

Jul 22, 2014

So it would have one entry for each flavor of guest OS? So I'd need to modify the VMWare virtual bios anytime I put in a new kind of guest OS?

...I feel like I"m missing something.

8. pix

pix MDL Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I was saying the opposite. One bios can be suitable for everything. That's why EsxBiosTools is useful because it allows the uber-bios to be available to all machines without having to mess around with vm

You're missing a lot - read up on SLP 2.x