What is better? Diskeeper or PerfectDisk ?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by iamanoob, Apr 8, 2010.

1. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    I want to get everyone's opinion ..

What do you guys prefer .. Diskeeper or PerfectDisk?

Here are a few reasons why i prefer Diskeeper:

1. I prefer Diskeeper because it utilizes Windows' Defrag vs. PerfectDisk utilizes a separate program/GUI ..

2. Diskeeper runs in the background, constantly maintaining the Hard Drives.. after it's installed.. i never have to worry about it again vs. PerfectDisk's Auto-Defrag that runs on a scheduled time ..

2a. some say they hate Diskeeper because it takes up valuable resources while running in the background.. but this is untrue.. because it only runs when the computer is idle :)

I am open to hear your Pros & Cons for both Software .. i am open to try PerfectDisk .. but i will need some convincing :p

If you would like to mention another Software .. feel free but give some detailed facts about why it is good..

NOTE
    Please no arguing..
    Debate the question.. not the person :)

2. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    I did not try diskeeper for a year or two, but no it doesnt, it uses own defragmentation methods, just like perfectdisk. If it would use windows defrag then there is almost zero point of actualy having "seperate" defrag program, dont you think ? :)

Perfectdisk runs on a schuduled time this is true, but also (only) when computer is idle... Disk does not need to be CONSTANTLY defraged. This constant defrgmentation, im sure on a long run reduce disk life span "slightly", because it constantly reads/writes and moving heads up and down. I have set perfectdisk to defrag only system partition, every 3 days (default) and usualy it finishes in few minutes. I do have all "crap" on other partitions tho... (like all kind of temp files, documents, downloads etc etc, so i reduce writing on system partition as much as i can and with this fragmenting partiton).

same as perfectdisk, but runing it constantly (couple of times / day when computer is idle) is pointless.

So i use perfectdisk, diskeeper is good as well, actualy they are more or less same :) they use similar technics with different name, but can be configured similar so they act same. Not even sure why i switched to perfectdisk back then, but i think i had some issue with bootup defrag that is probably fixed by now anyway.

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I hear you Solor on that one. IAMANOOB, I have personally tested both diskeeper 2010 pro premier and Perfect Disk 2010 Pro and I noticed that they both do about the same as far as what it defrags but Diskeeper does it alot faster then Perfect Disk does. When I ran my tests after defragging with diskeeper 2010 and then analyzing it with perfect disk, perfect disk did not find any fragmentation issues. Diskeeper is also more silent and better on resources.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I like O&O Defrag Pro, very quick, great GUI and gets the job done. I would recommend it to anyone.

5. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
  6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I've been using Perfectdisk for quite a while, now on version 11 which was recently released. I find it does a better job of defragmenting than Diskeeper, the last version of Diskeeper I tried seemed to fragment my drive not defragment it!

The other benefit of Perfectdisk is it is (unless this has changed with newer versions of other apps) the only one that defrags Metadata.

I actually see it as a disadvantage to defrag the drive every time there is a change on it, as with the system drive that can be quite often. I see it as better to get it done every few days and do it in bulk :)

7. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    What I would recommend is Diskeeper 2010..

8. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    really? Diskeeper fragmented your Hard Drive? interesting ..

Diskeeper does support Metadata .. Read Here

really? you prefer to Defrag in Bulk? interesting ...

Ok.. so it's not just me then..
    yea man.. i'll PM you for that info. ..
    i would love to run the 2010 version :)

10. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    At the end of the day, its all about trying each one out and choosing the one that best suits your needs and likes. In each case using the latest version so the comparison is a valid one.

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I use O&O Defrag 64 bit and find it very quick and good. Alongwith O&O Clever Cache, it makes a significant impact on performance. That is really related to generic constant defrag, but still both the softwares are easy and non-intrusive.

12. MinDokan

MinDokan MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2010
    PerfectDisk 11 in my opinion.

13. solartricity

solartricity MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    O&O Defrag is it, but if you move to SATA SSD, then you will never have to worry with defragging!

14. UnderShadow

UnderShadow MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2007
    Diskeeper 2010 all the way!!

For 2 years tried all of them, perfectdisk, o&o, diskeeper, jkdefreg, etc...

Previous versions of diskeeper really sucked! But version 2010 really hit the nail for two reasons:

1) Runs in the background (nothing new here), but runs in "below normal" priority using only idle resources. So thereĀ“s no noticeable slow down. Tried it in XP/Vista/7, all with good results even on slow computers,

2) Has its own Intelliwrite algorithm running as files are being written, so this reduces the need for defragmentation.

The EnterpriseServer edition is the fastest.

15. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
  16. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
  17. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #17 derausgewanderte, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  18. R0H1T

R0H1T MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2010
    PD 2011 over Diskeeper 2010 cuz :-
    1) It offers more details in terms of files/folders defrag, performance improved, fragmentation of free space/files/disk seperately & a new feature for removing junk files.
    2) Diskeeper goes bust after sys restore & to reinstall/repair it is like a nightmare especially in xp & if you have an error in MS' mmc then you won't be able to access its GUI.
    The main difference between the two is that Diskeeper has a continuously running process(service) while PD has to be run manually but both give you EXCELLENT defrag results in the end. The scheduled defrag doesn't stand upto active(always on) defrag by Diskeeper so if you don't wanna run the defrag manually then GO for Diskeeper. The avg CPU usage of Diskeeper service is around 4 to 5% which certainly ain't low & if you're low on mem then you'll have to stop its defrag engine manually to avoid sys errors. If you're fine with manual defrag every once in a while then PD is for you cuz there won't be a noticeable difference in terms of performance realtime vis a vis Diskeeper !

19. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
  20. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    #20 gamepoint, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
    yeah,...i recently uninstalled PD 11 that i got from WZOR..and installed auslogic disk defrag,,ahahahaha...do u think it is a wise decision?