What is pin header for this dell XPS 2710 AIO see picture

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mikecolson, Dec 20, 2016.

1. mikecolson

mikecolson MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2016
    I have dell Xps 2710 AIO is dead black screen. I want to reflash Chip without remove it. I see next to it a kind o header with no pin beside(there is a text rom recovery) . Can someone tell me what every pin represent(Which one is number one ). I check and assume the square is number one.Can someone help.:worthy::worthy:

Attached Files:

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    white dot on chip is pin1.
    if it fails to read plug in power cord

use sop8 test clip if needed.
    or solder wires like ide thin wire to the chip to programmer

3. mikecolson

mikecolson MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2016
    Thanks Latin for reply,
    I know that dot on chip is number one, I wanted to know the diagram of that header(in blue color text) if someone has it. Hope someone can provide it I don't think Dell will tell me.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I think the square pin is pin one, but I'm still hunting around. There are 3 major connector manufacturers that you can check. AMP, Amphenol and Molex.

Do you have a multimeter? See if the square pin is ground or Vcc. Also, the missing pin is a keying notch, which is what leads me to believe that it's for a Molex connector.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    need to find schematics of the board name for that
    or follow the traces from chip to header

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    some pcs do that due to EFI corrupt bug.. self brick
    i fixed a hp all in one other day reset jumper and take batt out.

8. mikecolson

mikecolson MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2016
    Here is more pics with motherboard from XPS 2710

Attached Files:

9. mikecolson

mikecolson MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2016
    So here how it happened:
    In the morning I came to office and turn on message on screen "No bootable device something like that " I turned this aio 2710 off then turned back on same message,I had a new HDD so I open case and replaced old HDD(old HD I scanned outside I connected to another computer and found bad sectors) with brand new HDD press power button nothing on screen no text no post , I was thinking maybe original HDD has some sort of TPM, so I installed original HDD back and removed the new HDD, when turned on same issue no txt no black screen, I pressed end, delete, F12 nothing, when I pressed power button at first screen show brighter (black) then in 3 seconds completely black. The only thing that happened day before they(maintenance) tested power generator for whole building and that probably damaged HDD. this Dell AIO 2710 has HDMI IN and HDMI out. I used external monitor and same issue black screen no message nothing. Then I used a Laptop and connected to to HDMI in of Dell XPS 2710 AIO to act as a monitor it shows the image from laptop perfect no issue with the screen . The cpu fan work normal. I did move jumper removed battery same issue Sorry for this long story:confused:

10. mikecolson

mikecolson MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2016
    Thank you Michaela I will take a look;)

11. mikecolson

mikecolson MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2016
    this is pin header from HP
    Could this be the same like Dell

Attached Files:

12. mikecolson

mikecolson MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2016
    Just saw this post they had the same issue. If someone can provide I bios rom for this Dell xps 2710 AIO. I tried to extract from exe but fail.;)Thjis two nights I was thinking searching and:confused:

Attached Files:

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  14. sonic_8400

sonic_8400 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    #14 sonic_8400, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Best thing to do is get a multimeter tested continuity between the BIOS pins and the pins on header

Code:
    CE  [X] X CE
    SI  X  
    SO  X   X VDD
    SCK X   X VSS