What is SLIC?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by SilentJ, Dec 1, 2009.

1. SilentJ

SilentJ MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2009
    I've been reading the stickies and thought I knew everything from my A+ certification. But I don't get what SLIC is.

1) What is it?

2) How is it pronounced so i don't talk like an idiot? is it "Slick" or spelled out at "S-L-I-C" ?

3) I've got a Dell Inspiron 1520 which just used a Dell Windows 7 disk to install and it's STILL wanting to be activated (unlike previous OSes from Dell which do not require it if you use their install disks). what can i do to bypass it?

2. truthinjection

truthinjection MDL Member

Aug 27, 2009
    The 'SLIC' is the specific ACPI table found within a BIOS by Windows to implement the Vista and Win7 versions of the System Locked Preinstallation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Preinstallation

Pronounce it "slick". Or don't. ;-) I once knew a guy that pronounced SCSI "Skahzee". Apparently it's the german pronunciation. :)

I don't have expert Dell-specific knowledge, but in general the following might be the issue:

As for your specific Win7 problem, chances are one or more of the following are true either of you or the DVD you used to install:
    1. Your BIOS for this particular Dell does not have a Win7-compatible SLIC table (aka a "SLIC v2.1" table).
    2. You did not install the matching XRM-MS certificate file that matches the existing SLIC.
    3. You did not use a SLP key, but instead used a Retail (or OEM, etc) key, which requires activation after entry.

Hope that helps,
    -tij-

3. SilentJ

SilentJ MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2009
    yes it does help me. I'll read up on the material you posted and figured out a way to bypass my dell activation.

thanks for being fast and helping me in the pronounciation of SLIC (REALLY important)