What is SSD?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Matrix Leader, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Kindly explain all about SSD, and more importantly, can I install an SSD drive on my notebook (specs in sig) ? and where would it be placed?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  3. bassie995

bassie995 MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    ok where do this SSD plug to??

does it go in the PCMCIA port? or how do I connect it guys?

5. KENTOY

KENTOY MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2007
    Hi,

SSD uses sata interface just like WD 500 GB HDD...

so you just swapped SSD disk with your regular 2.5 HD.

Hope this helps.

6. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    oh thanks for the clarification......ill start saving some moneh :rolleyes:

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I got a 64 GB SSD for $212 AU which is about $195 US. They are getting cheaper now - make sure you buy a second generation one that has TRIM (wiper.exe) support and uses Indilix controller - steer clear of JMicron controllers.

Because of size costs a 64 GB one is good for OS install and programs - I store all data on a GB Seagate.

Blazingly fast seek - quick boot up. My old Velociraptro scored 5.9 under Windows rating - the SSD took that up to 6.9. Supposedly 170 MB/sec read and 140 MB/sec write.

Programs simply snap open and run much more responsively.

Rated the best value upgrade available for your computer by APC magazine.

8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007

Attached Files:

9. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    whoa! thaat's amazing man! no doubt its the best upgrade ATM!

10. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
  11. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    You should look at the Disadvantages and Advantages before you put your money on a SSD. ie..

Flash-memory cells have limited lifetimes and will often wear out after 1,000 to 10,000 write cycles

As a result of wear leveling and write combining, the performance of SSDs degrades with use

DRAM-based SSDs (but not flash-based SSDs) require more power than hard disks, when operating; they still use power when the computer is turned off, while hard disks do not

12. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    thanks for this great tip

rep point added

13. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #13 Rosco, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    The new ones come with a 2 year warranty.

They give much better write-rewrite performance than the first generation - now multimillions not thousands - and Windows 7 has code in it to recognize an SSD and turn off inappropriate tools such as defrag - never need defrag because of incredible seek times which are thousands of times faster than hard drive - micro seconds rather than milli seconds. Provided these figures stack up the expected lifetime is now similar to a hard disk - besides I can unplug mine and hook it up to an ESata port on any computer and I've got my OS and email, favourites etc wherever I want it. It weighs a few grams and fits in my pocket.

Indexing is pointless.

ReadyBoost is not available - there is no point - it can't even come close to the speed of these things.

The problem of having to high voltage flash cells to overwrite them has been overcome by a utility called TRIM or wiper.exe. Run regularly it returns performance to a new install - APC and the manufacturers recommend fortnightly or weekly or whenever you notice it is slowing down.

Kaspersky - not the fastest AV scanner - scanned the whole SSD in less than 2 minutes.

I really can't see any drawbacks at the moment. The new generation is far superior to the first generation but make sure of two things at present - it must support TRIM and it must use the Indilix barefoot controller.

My system boots in 9 seconds.

14. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009

:eek::eek::eek:

15. popcornmix

popcornmix MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Rosco can you recommend an SSD?

I'm waiting for the Kingston SSDNow V+ 64 GB, but no one seems to have stock yet. (should be about £130).

Are there any alternatives?

16. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Are you serious .....? Thats pretty awesome :D :eek: :eek: :D

17. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #17 Rosco, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  18. popcornmix

popcornmix MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks Rosco. I'll keep a look out for the A-RAM. Can't find a UK seller, and eBay only has an Australian seller with £30 delivery...

The SSDNow V series uses the JMicron 602 controller. The V+ uses the Samsung S3C29RBB01-YK40, which I believe is much better. It has been well reviewed and supports TRIM with a firmware upgrade.

19. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That is odd because my pc boots in 10 seconds with a WD 1 TB Sata 2.0 Drive.

20. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    LOL, not far off from that myself. I have an older processor and it takes about 22 sec for 7, got XP super tweaked and it boots in 18. But 4 sec of all this is the time for deciding which OS. I was shocked to see in another forum how much ppl were marveling at a SSD computer booting to a usable state in 20 sec. A little tweaking and its not hard to get a fast boot.