what is the difference between "software" and "BIOS" mod?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lockon, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Lockon

Lockon MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    i am going to try Windows 7, for Daz windows 7 Loader, just wondering what is the difference between "software" and "BIOS" mod?

Thanks

2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Software uses a Loader to emulate the SLIC2.1 information.
    A BIOS mod puts the SLIC2.1 information into the BIOS itself.

A loader is much easier to detect and disable, but still relatively safe.

3. RogerI

RogerI MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Can the software modification, I meant loader, pass MS's validation?

4. Lockon

Lockon MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    Does the BIOS mod only modify the SLIC section in the bios? IF so, i dont think it will affect the whole BIOS, it should be safe as well, isnt it?

5. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    BIOS modding does carry some risk, especially if doing it on your own. It's always possible something might go wrong during the flash, and thus you run the risk of bricking your board. I have it done it multiple times without issue with AndyP's tools.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    The bios mod may rearrange tables within the bios in order to incorporate the Slic table. Sometimes something such as the EPA logo may be deleted in order to provide space for the Slic table. Is is quiet complicated because all manufacturers bioses are different and are continually being refined.
    When the bios is flashed generally the whole bios is overwritten.

Andy P's bios tools are brilliant pieces of programming but the cannot cope with every bios.

I have successfully used Andy's tools several times on Gigabye, Abit and Asus boards but these are considered to be amongst the easiest to modify.
    If in doubt consult the experts.