What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by sid_16, Jun 9, 2013.

1. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Same as the title of the thread says :D. Is there any meaning of life?:idea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dabonz1965

dabonz1965 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    yes kindness and love and sharing and giving and helping and peace of mind

3. pompey

pompey MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2013
    no.
    the meaning of life is in the eye of the beholder.
    so many have gone before us.
    their lives were like a pebble thrown into a pond..
    a few circles in the water; then it is gone..
    some pebbles may make more circles than others,
    but after a while, they are all gone...
    but that should not prevent us from enjoying the
    few circles that we make, imho..
    :D

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pompey

pompey MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2013
    excuse me, but monty python and the meaning of life are planets in different orbits, for me..
    i sincerely hope that we can keep the good monty out of any serious discussion..

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    The meaning of life is that life has meaning or intention imbeded within it, hence it was created with a purpose or intention. Probably infinite creativity!? Those who think life is/was created without intention will give life only self-serving or selfish based meaning, hence between the spirtual and athiest believers we will have a debate as to is there an author of life or just random life manifestations

Same spiritual vs. athiest debates :suicide:...lol

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @timesurfer: And -that's- why I answered the OPs' post as I did. :)

@Pompey: The OP posed a question: "What is The Meaning of Life".

"The Meaning of Life" is the title of a Monty Python movie. Which, you will find (If you google it) to be pure unadulterated truth.

If the OP had phrased the question differently (i.e. What is the meaning of your life? -or- What does life mean to you?) I would have eluded a different answer. :)

With that said, I stand by my original answer. :p

8. ace2

ace2 Guest

#8 ace2, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
    The meaning of life is ?

9. Arachnoid

Arachnoid MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2010
    Its a hot day you, have $1.99 in change in your pocket and you pass an ice cream sales man selling cones for $2

10. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hmph.. :D
    thank you kindly for a materialistic and unspiritual
    thought.. but i would doubt that one cent more or
    less in your pocket would contribute to the meaning
    of life, perhaps you should learn to haggle..
    about the icecream, i mean, not about the meaning
    of life.. :biggrin:

11. Arachnoid

Arachnoid MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2010
    #11 Arachnoid, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    To rephrase so you can understand better my meaning its that life will invariably present you with something you desire but because of circumstance it will be just out of reach no matter how much you want it.The lesson is to either learn to compromise or simply stay out of the sun in the first place.
    Oh and being an Atheist and a pessimist gives me a clearer understanding on life :D

12. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    We evolve, we advance, what is our goal but to begin again, the circle of life :)

13. cytherian

cytherian MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2013
    The short end of it is, "Life is what you make it." We are not all created equal. We are each dealt a certain hand, which is comprised of a DNA set, pair of parents, economic status, regional circumstances, and parent country. Some of us are lucky to have the best of it all, while others are unfortunate to have the worst of it all. Most are somewhere in between.

No matter what you are dealt, there does come a point in time when you are able to make choices that affect the outcome of your life. Assuming you are not captive by an oppressive regime and you are not enslaved by anyone, you are then faced with making choices. How you choose will either improve your situation, leave it the same, or make it worse.

But... in a way we are very much shaped by our physicality, the way our parents raise us, and the peers we grow up with. We can become conditioned to be pessimistic or optimistic. Yet ultimately, we can reach a point of awareness where we understsand these things and... can then make the prudent choices to get away from what is harmful and move towards what is beneficial.

The main challenge to life is breaking through the illusion that is created once we are brought into the world. Most parents strive to create a safe and loving environment where their children can grow up properly. A child learns their dominion and begins to believe they know the rules and boundaries. But then little by little this understanding is forced to change, as the child encounters what life really has to offer, the first being other children who can be horribly cruel. Or the outside world that will ruthlessly harm you without the slightest care. It's ugly out there and many people don't want to face it, instead seeking refuge in diversions... which is why the entertainment world is such a profoundly successful business.

The sad fact is that for most of us in the civilized 1st world, we live in an illusion of civility. We believe that society is more advanced than it really is. The trouble is that the ugly side of humanity, the side that is viciously greedy and self serving, is always there seeking to thrive and undermine others. The level of cruelty between humans is unparalleled in the natural world. It is a sad fact that our "safe haven" of high tech creature comforts casts a false image of how things really are. Once you understand this, then you are able to cope with the ugly side of humanity, finding your own way to make a life and live as well as you can. But ultimately, it must come down to letting go of selfish desires. To instead turn to seek out and help others. There is so little of that going on. And without direct attention, people will only become more alienated from each other, more segregated, more distrustful and hateful.

I'm sorry for being so long winded, but while the question is short the answer can only be deep to have a chance of responding in a meaningful way. We must seek to make our own meaning of life, but it's so important that we resist making it a selfish one. Otherwise, there is no hope for humanity.

14. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    So is your definition of meaning of life, the underlying purpose provided by some supreme creator?:D

15. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    So to say life is a circle to you?:p

16. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Ok, what does life mean to you?
    P.S no spiritual stuff to be included only simply English please.....:D

17. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    So what your 'limitations' of limitations?;)

18. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Hehe.... life is always one cent short :excl:

19. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Have not you read Rhonda Byrne's book 'secrete' ?:biggrin:

20. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    So do the other life forms in this planet. The circle of life .o_O