what is the proper way to install new system?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alergic, Oct 16, 2010.

1. alergic

alergic MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2010
    When installing windows 7 on new computer, is there a way to make the most clean install in matters of registry?

explanation example:
    What to install first? the windows updates or anti-virus?
    install updates or language pack first??
    update drivers threw windows or download from vendor?
    reboot after each program install even if it don't ask you to?

etc.

and what is a good program to watch over the registry/program installs/etc..

2. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    You could start by installing windows > Drivers > antivirus/Firewall > Windows update > Software / Games..

4. alergic

alergic MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2010
    and like this?

1) Format
    5) install all updates
    2) Install All drivers
    4) activate windows
    6) disable system restore (why to do this?)
    7) make a backup of your system using acronis true image so u can always revert back to a perfect state in-case anything goes wrong
    3) Install anti-virus
    8) install all your favorite apps
    9) disable unnecessary start up programs after u install all your apps
    10) follow my quick boot time guide >>>
    11) When you see the system is slow, use the acronis disk, update drivers, install windows updates, and continue from new 7 (make a disk)

5. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Because system restore is for computer n00bies. It takes up humongous HDD space and is a process that is contantly running and takes up unnecessary resources.

I just do a backup after a clean install with all my favorite settings like I tell Windows that the Docs, Pics, and Videos, downloads are all on the D: drive as that takes like 10 mins to point out each folder individually, then all those control panel settings. So after you set evferything to your liking, just use Acronis True Image Backup once only to make an image of your HDD, save the image to like D: or something other than C: then disable the Acronis True Image services and set them to MANUAL.

2 months down the line when u feel like u wanna format for whatever reason, simply start the services manually by typing services.msc from the run command, then run acronis true image and restore to the image that u have taken earlier, withint 7 - 10 mins ur PC is formatted and everything u have previously set up will be restored perfectly :)

who needs that POS Windows System restore

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    That's optional, if you use acronis disable it, if not its your decision it boost a little performance...

7. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    AND btw, THE ORDER you have mentioned is not wrong

8. alergic

alergic MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2010
    #8 alergic, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    (OP)
    (and from your point of view which will be better? i used mine from a point of view that after 2-3-6 months the anti-virus may be changed and that way u have to uninstall it first what makes the registry a bit trashy)

(what are the steps to do so?).

(how to disable it? didnt found the options in CP)

True image - which version to download?

Also i found this site with portableapps, is it better to use portable software if available?

9. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
  10. alergic

alergic MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2010
    Why this is important?

I tried one time to check why sony erricson phone doesnt update but it didnt work , it has its limitations.
    but still i think it will be great to try programs i see on the web, (like the time i download all the Anti malware programs to defend my system and ended up with formatting the Comp...)

11. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    When file extensions are hidden it is sometimes difficult to decide what kind of file type you are working with on a first glance.

Imagine a file called document.doc.exe with a document icon. When file extensions are hidden this file will appear to you as document.doc. All right we got UAC and anti-virus etc so you're safe anyway. But you get my thinking? :)

12. alergic

alergic MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2010
    #12 alergic, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    (OP)
    Made up my mind

1) Format(not connecting to internet and disabling updates)

2) Install All original drivers (Not from Windows Update)

3) connect to the internet and install all updates for windows

4) activate windows with some neat Loader

5) disable system restore and delete any created

6) change all your control panel settings to what u like.

7) make a backup of your system using acronis true image home edition so u
    can always revert back to a perfect state in-case anything goes wrong or you
    want to install system again

8) then disable the Acronis True Image services and set them to MANUAL(services.msc).

9) Install anti-virus (avira Free :D )

10) install all your favorite apps (office 2010,firefox,vlc and steam :D )

11) disable unnecessary start up programs after u install all your apps using
    CCleaner or MSconfig

12) Using Matrix Leader's quick boot guide

13) When you see the system is slow, use the acronis disk,disable true image
    services, update drivers, install windows updates, and continue from stage 9.

I think that Summarize all.

TY for all your replies :D :worthy: :spoton:

13. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Well to be honest, that order that I gave you is just like a safe way to do it. Me, personally, I don't install an antivirus until I finished creating the image with True Image so that when I want to restore, I have a clean registry that doesn't not have ANYTHING installed :)

You should download Acronis True Image Home 2010 13 Build 6053, that is the best version that ACTUALLY works :)

14. alergic

alergic MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2010
    oops already downloaded the last one...
    2011 build 5519 is not good?

BTW I'm in the process of installing updates, install unnecessary updates or skip them all?

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I do it this way:
    1. install windows 7, all updates, office 2010, main browsers, some essential softwares (acrobat, imageburn, dvdshrink, vlc etc) which are easily updateable. Main customisations and control panel modifications. Take an image.
    2. install all other softwares. Take an image
    3. install all drivers

I prefer installing drivers last, since some drivers such as Nvidia are quickly installed, but difficult to update. Till recently, I think an update of Nvidia used to create a new folder. No problems in installing though. The new beta updates have a better installer and updater, but they had some problems on my system.

16. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Don't skip ANY updates, if you have activated via the BIOS SLIC method, if not, then depends on what loader you have used. I would hide the KB10733 update if I did not activate via SLIC / BIOS mod.

And that version you downloaded will save the backup file just fine, but it will not always restore it successfully so you're taking chances. Download the tested version by me dude which is the one I mentioned above.

The way to disable Acronis True Image services after you have completed your backup is:L

1) Hit the window key + R to bring up the Run command prompt
    2) enter services.msc and hit enter
    3) double click on each of the Acronis True Image services at the top (they should be 2) and change the startup mode from Automatic to Manual
    4) Using Autoruns, disable all the Acronis True Image automatic startup from the logon section as you don't need it to be always running.
    5) When you want to restore in the future, just double click the Acronis True Image Scheduling service from the services.msc windows, and hit START to start the service
    6) Run Acronis True Image, and select restore, then selec the backup that you created.
    7) your system will reboot and you should be back and running within 7-10 mins ;)

17. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    #17 DARKOR04, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    Here is my installation order I always do:

1. Format Disk
    2. Install OS (Windows 7 Professional RTM OEM made by myself)
    3. Update Windows 7
    4. Update Drivers (From Vendor, In my case HP)
    5. Install Applications (A lot)
    6. Install Anti-Virus and Update Definitions Offline (ESET Smart Security Business)
    7. Clean Registry and all Junk with Ccleaner, Auslogics Registry Cleaner
    8. Make Smartplacement (Aggressive) and Boot Defrag with Perfect Disk
    9. Tweaks (optional)
    10. Reboot and make Disk Backup with Acronis True Image Home 2011

My Laptop Specs:
    Model HP Compaq 6735s (Energy Star)
    Windows 7 Professional RTM 7600 Preactivated OEM 32bit
    RAM 3GB
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200
    HDD Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561S ATA Device 160GB
    Processor AMD Sempron 2.1Ghz

18. Riverrat

Riverrat MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    I plan on trying the BIOS SLIC method on my older Compaq so I can install Win7. This will come in handy. Thanks

19. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    System restore can be handy, the amount of space it used can be limited from the control panel. When it is useful, it really is only useful back one or two restore points. Sure, if something is stuffed up you can resort to the image or reinstall windows etc, but the image restoration means you have to install new updates and programmes since the last backup, and reinstalling windows means installing everything again.

My recommendation is to disable system restore straight after you enter Windows for the first time, then install all your programmes and updates. There is little point creating restore points when you install the updates and drivers if you are going to disable it later anyway. Also you already know that the programmes and drivers work, so even if you do have it enabled for normal use there's no point creating a restore point until the system is ready.

I also recommend setting Superfetch to 'boot only', and not application + boot. Superfetch is good in theory but has one fundamental flaw; once it knows what programmes you use all it will use all of your free RAM. This RAM is physically all taken, but programmes see it as free RAM and use it as required. The reason why this is a bad thing is because programme memory use constantly changes (depending on what you are doing of course). You load a programme that takes say, 90MB of RAM. Superfetch makes way 90MB of RAM for this programme. You open a function that takes an additional 10MB of RAM, superfetch gives that up. Once the function is completed, 10MB of RAM is free and superfetch loads data from your drive into that RAM. The end result of this loading and unloading is excessive disk use. If application superfetch is disabled (service enabled but set to 2 in the registry), all free RAM can still be used for cache, and that is still freed when needed, you just won't have the constant loading and unloading.

I think If you have say, 2.5GB free RAM, superfetch should be able to be set to use say only 1.5GB of it (adjustable), and have the other 1GB as normal cache. The benefit of this is programmes in general don't cross that 1GB boundary thus you don't have the loading/unloading issue. If you do go over 1GB, superfetch should allocate RAM to the programme and leave say, 100MB leeway. The programme then can take 100MB before further RAM is cleared. Superfetch then can reload its data only after the programme is closed, as there is little point loading data that may just be cleared again.

Don't go too heavy on disabling services, some you really don't need, but disable too much and you may lose functionality.

20. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes, system restore should be disabled staright away after installing windows 7. Useless in most cases and imaging is infinitely better. In fact, I do all control panel settings first up.
    If you do not disable sys. restore straight up, it eats up space as you install software. One can disable system res. later too, and delete all points before imaging.
    In my case, at least, installing drivers last has saved me yesterday. Nvidia released a new driver 260.89 which claims to have a new install experience. However, that driver is buggy even though whql certified. Try changing the gamma properties and see the technicolour that happens (at least on my system). This and other similar bugs were in the beta also.
    Had a recent image and so went back to that image with 258.96 drivers.