What is the rsdrvx64.sys driver?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by zegra, Sep 15, 2014.

1. zegra

zegra MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2014
    #1 zegra, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    I have this rsdrvx64.sys driver installed.

It belongs to a program called RawDisk from Eldos, but I never installed such a thing. The program itself isn't installed; just the driver.

Does anyone know what this driver does and where it came from? Was it installed alongside something else?

2. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    have you installed Remo Drive Defrag ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zegra

zegra MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2014
    No, never installed any defragmenting program.

4. zegra

zegra MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2014
    No, never installed such things.

I just want to know what's it for and if it could be a sign of a malicious hidden software.

ESET and malwarebytes didn't find anything.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    it is from some form of backup or hdd utility. its a raw write driver. Harmless

6. zegra

zegra MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2014
    I have no idea, really.

I'm having some random BSODs, and since this driver is from 2009, I thought maybe I could remove it just to make sure it's not the culprit. I wish there was a way to tell which one of my programs use this thing. Can a portable program have installed it? I don't know.

How do I uninstall software drivers that are not listed in "programs and features" anyway? Can I just delete the file?

-------------
    Windows 8.1 64-bit

7. zegra

zegra MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2014
    Damn it. You are right. I just remembered. I did install some file recovery programs at some point but then uninstalled them. Guess one of them left this driver behind.

Sorry and thanks.