What is this "Trust this PC" notification.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MarkJohnson, Dec 6, 2012.

1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I just got this message from windows 8. Not sure what it is or what it is trying to sync?

I googled it, but it just says it is for sync and password recovery so far. But I still don't know what it is syncing with as I have no devices for it to sync with.

-=Mark=-

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    It's syncing to skydrive, also you can reset your Microsoft Password by using a Trusted PC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    That's my point. I don't have this feature, so it shouldn't be asking for this service.

Again, I have no trusted PCs and don't need this service.

I could see it asking me this if it seen I have any of these services enabled. But to randomly ask for this service is very fishy, to say the least.

Is it just a gimmick to trick you to sign up for their unnecessary services so M$ can generate more money? Kind of what it sounds like.

I guess Apple is starting to hurt M$ more than they expected with these underhanded tactics. What's worse it's things like this that will drive people away from M$. It's bad enough I have people leaving M$ because of malware. My uncle bought his last pc and after a month is was so infected it was unusable. He got tired of constantly paying to get it fixed and switched to Apple and claims no issues at all since.

I think people are just fed up with M$ and buy anything else if it will do the same job no matter the cost. Now I have to buy Apple/Android systems to keep up with everything.

Sorry for the rant. It just seems M$ like shooting themselves in the foot lately and it gets me frustrated.

-=Mark=-

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    come on, The fruit company ain't better;)

5. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you're to lazy to get information about what you want install beforehand, you have to complain to yourself. Fact is, MS didn't install something on your computer, it's you or somebody on your behalf. Fact is also, that many, not to say almost everybody, didn't get ALL infos BEFORE they start to install or change anything on their computers because they didn't looking for that info's.

For to cancel the MS Account, setup a Local Account on your computer and use that for to log on. Keep in mind that something will not work with local accounts.

Since a few year's it's know that Apple's are the most unsecure Computers/OS's. It had need some time to get those infos to the public and finally it were done about 2-3 years ago.

Don't be mistaken to look at statistics! If you like to get the real figures, you need to check how many security Problems were Apple OS related for the user's of Apple Computers and get the percentage for just that! And after do the same just for MS Software and PC running MS OS's only not any other and get the percentage for that too!
    Also take a look how much time Apple is need in general for to create a patch, remove tool or whatsoever to get that security problems settled and compare that time to those MS doing in general.

You should also take in account that Apple is producing their OS's just for a very small range of Hardware, using only 1 or 2 (electronic) generation old hardware, already fully tested by other companies incl. MS(!) to keep the development cost down as much as possible. MS on the other hand is developing mainly software only, not Hardware, using the latest technology and barely tested hardware for the nearly complete range of available hardware and having therefore very high cost of development! The have Ap[ple's OS running you could only use hardware which is patented(?!) by and for Apple and have to pay a terrible high price for it by very low development and production cost. Also EVERY Apple product is produced in China by Companies like Foxconn, which very well known for very un-social behavior while handle the employees like slaves!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    "with any version of Windows you're in constant worry about virus. I never encountered a virus infected Apple computer from any of the dozen or so people I know that use them. Every Apple user to call me with problems is hardware related. usually HDD failure, or system so old it's not compatible with internet anymore, or memory upgrade for some new program os upgrade" :biggrin: im tired of hearing this again..

HEAR THIS: Windows never get virus automatically, i used xp,vista,win7 now using win8. My pc never "infected" with virus, u won't get virus unless u are doing something wrong!!:wallbash:

U can use "trust this pc" option to recover password, syncing with skydrive.. if u dont want tht option simply dont trust any pc.. u dont have to log on to win8 with live id, switch to local account... is tht so hard??

"catching up" with apple?? :D

If u think microsoft have nonsense services, not taking care of security, playing "catch up" with apple, only have problems... then u can use apple's toys , for god sake why u guys cannot stop ranting about microsoft :p

"I think people are just fed up with M$ and buy anything else if it will do the same job no matter the cost" haha get a life.. stop using $ in MS, $apple$ is robbing you :D

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #9 Shenj, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    "Trust this PC" currently has a quite serious Security issue, one can reset the Password through a Trusted PC.. in my opinion Microsoft should remove the "Reset through Trusted PC" function on the MS Account Website.

If you Device is Stolen and you have it set as "Trusted PC" the person can reset your password.
    Even without "Trusted PC" the person can access your skydrive, outlook, store etc...

It's very easy.. so i would recommend to not use the "Trust this PC" feature on Mobile Devices so someone who stole your device can not reset your MS Account Password.

It's VERY important that you INSTANTLY change the password on your MS Account when your Device with MS Login is stolen, if you do one can not do anything but login into the Device to see files etc.

The "convience" of Windows 8 and Microsoft Account linking to services makes it a huge flaw.. someone only needs Physical\Remote Access to your Device, so be prepared.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would change the Password to an PIN Code! You'll need to know the PIN Code for to log on, you could not NOT use the password as long as the PIN Code is activated.

10. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
    "Trust This PC"

You get this notification when you connect your Windows 8 PC to Microsoft Account like Hotmail or Windows Live

When you click on the link, then your system's default browser connects to Microsoft Account and says you to log in

But you should copy and paste the link opened in your default browser to Internet Explorer because then only you can save the changes successfully there.

It asks if you want to trust this PC, if you choose Yes...it sends codes or links in your trusted mobile or trusted e-mail address

Trusting PC helps Microsoft collect data about your PC usage...next time you re-install Windows 8 and connect it to your Microsoft Account, the settings and customization are automatically applied. saving your time and serving you better. :rolleyes:

11. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    No, "Trust PC" feature is only used to Sync Passwords, Settings etc don't need a Trusted PC.

No, you can switch between the inputs, PIN is optional, if you have PW+Picture+Pin you can choose between all inputs, that said.. it doesnt matter if you use a PIN.. i can still easily login no matter if you have picture password, pin or a ultra strong pw, it's all useless.

12. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
  13. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #14 Shenj, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  14. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    It wasn't laziness, it was, I was in the middle of installing and it asked for this info. I wasn't about to abort install and research every single option and what all ramification to installing will or might be. By the time I finished doing all that win9 will be released. lol

I read that won't give me admin access which I'll need. I guess I'll just have to reinstall again.

Yes, all systems are unsecure in ways known and unknown. Most unsecure is a bit exaggerated though. You may also want to adhere to your statistics advice below.

You sound like the one depending on statistics.

Like I said I've been working on computers all of my adult life (30+ years) and NEVER found one single virus on an Apple system. It doesn't matter how vulnerable a system is if it too difficult or unworthy to take advantage of.

My worst case scenario of a PC disaster (and many, many similar worse incidents) was when my Dad bought a Dell back when they hooked up with Wild Tangent to offer free games. My dad played one game of mahjong. He was instantly hit with Malware. By the end of the week his computer was so slow he had to call me, I arrived at his house on day 10 and it was completely unusable. He said he was getting flooded with email, I checked his email through my laptop and he was getting over 1,000 emails a day. This all happened on day one!

That statement sounds like it favors Apple. Common sense would say if it is that much trouble to remove a virus, then it would be that much trouble to install. Or should I say that in reverse! MS is easier to install a virus!

There are standards in place to prevent this. M$ has had many option to resolve thee issues but failed as it is monopoly king and doesn't care since it can generate money and basically forcing people to live with it because they have no alternative for various reasons. Win7 finally forced pre-certified drivers for whql for next OS to avoid it. Only took them 25iash years to implement. lol

The people I've dealt with say the cost was very, very cheap. Considering the lifetime of headaches and constant dead machines and trips to the repair man! M$ cost significantly more. Ask me how much money I've made from M$ and constant repairing of windows. lol

excuse me, I think somewhere in the neighborhood 90+ percent of all computer products are made in China. end products are usually assembled in America, and that is an extremely small number. Capitalism has made it too expensive to build products competitively and most products are made in communist/dictatorship/3rd world countries and labor is basically free in their society in comparison.

and people saying they have never had a virus are either not fully being truthful, or are so afraid of using their PC they are overly cautious with their system they are afraid to use it.

Not the case with apple. Whenever I want to throw caution to the wind online I use Apple. and yes, I have never had a virus yet! and trust me, I do some very stupid things online.(download questionable content, visit questionable websites, etc...) lol

All of this applies to Linux as well. I've used most all flavors at one time or another.

-=Mark=-
    ps, look inside your PC and I bet your motherboard was made by Foxconn! lol

ps, don't think I'm anti-M$ too much, they put bread and butter on my table. This is wny I'm so upset, I'm losing customers left and right lately. And M$ keep shooting themselves in the foot cause me to lose business.