What key should be put in? - Unattend.xml

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by taojung, Jan 7, 2017.

1. taojung

taojung MDL Novice

May 30, 2011
    I'm trying to make a single (Auto)Unattend.xml file to install Windows 8.1 Pro with Update on several HP computers with the same model #.

Each one has an embedded (MSDM) key for Windows 8 Pro in it.

When I tried installation with a (said) generic key for Win8.1Pro preplaced in the key field in the unattend file, the generic key wouldn't be replaced with the embedded key automatically upon completion of installation.

With nothing (blank) in the key field, I was asked which version (Pro or non-pro) I wanted to install and for a key for it in addition.

I know it will work if I place each embedded one for each computer. I need to make a single unattend file for all my HP's though...

Thanks in advance for any idea.

2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #2 mxman2k, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That's not really a shameless plug, if you hadn't i would have plugged it :) It's a superproject.

4. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    In my signature I have made a website to create a basic answer file for Windows 8 and other versions. Could save you some time if all you are after is a basic install.

5. #5 Deleted member 222776, Feb 11, 2017
    While I'm very interested in knowing if ei.cfg will work in the OP's case, here what I currently use:
    I created a setupcomplete.cmd that is exectuted when windows first boots, and added this code to it:
    Code:
    for /f "tokens=2 delims=," %%a in ('wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey^,VLRenewalInterval /value /format:csv') do set key=%%a

cscript C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs /upk
    cscript C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs -ipk %key%

This will clear the existing trial key, and insert the MSDM key.
    You could inser this to your autounattend.xml, as a firstlogon entry and it will work.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #6 Enthousiast, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    mxman2k maintains a project completely based on genuine, slic or oem:Dm key, based activated installs ;)

I always managed to avoid using an autounatend.xml but somewhere you can insert a commandline which disables the input of the key and lets setup select the image index which already had a pre-inserted key.

Can't find an example for the line :(

EDIT:

Found the line: <Key>/IMAGE/INDEX</Key>

7. So this would bypass the image selection and key?

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #8 Enthousiast, Feb 11, 2017
    Maybe this is more clear:

Code:
    <InstallFrom>
       <MetaData wcm:action="add">
        <Value>1</Value>
        <Key>/IMAGE/INDEX</Key>
       </MetaData>