what kind of "quiet" power supply did computer maker like Dell, ASUS, etc use?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by catdog215, Nov 2, 2010.

1. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    what kind of power supply did computer maker like Dell, ASUS, etc use? Their computer is so quiet, can't even hear the fan spinning. I went to a computer store and ask for a quiet power supply, i think they gave me ocz which they claim the noise to be like whisper. bought it and install it. still hear fan. it's not like dell or asus pc. so quiet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
  3. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Most OEM's use PWM fans for power supplies and CPU's, sometimes they use a single large fan for CPU cooling with a shroud and case cooling too. They seem quiet, but put the CPU cores under a 100% load and the fan noise will quickly climb.
    OEM's have used a variety of designs over the years i've seen, most today use larger fans so they rotate slower=lower noise and usually longer life.
    Generally OEM's use the power supply company that gives them the lowest cost per unit with an acceptable number of failures.
    PWM fans can be set so they remain slow even when temps climb (ie: non-linear scale), the stock Intel cooler for original Pentium D 3.4 GHz can be set to run very quiet, but that does not mean the CPU is running cool. I have a Asus P5B-E with a Pentium D 3.4 that with Asus quiet control set to silent I cannot hear the fan, but the CPU runs way over temp and throttles itsself under 2x100% load.....but it is quite.

4. cynarch

cynarch MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2010
    agree with that.. on showrooms oem machines run so quiet because they usually run only light programs.. rarely heavy games installed.
    I use corsair hx 850w.. it has a slow moving large fan.. so quiet

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    thank you all for the info.
    @WeAreNotAlone
    the reason i did not post descr was because i want it to be a general question on power supply. mayb sum1 can recommend a power supply that are as quiet as those use in computer maker, dell and etc. or maybe the best answer is to open dell pc and see what power supply they use and google. my dad had dell and sis had asus pc from retail store and it's so quiet. even at work, pc r so quiet and i'm only like 2 feet away. no noise

6. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
  7. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    #7 WeAreNotAlone, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    Another issue: Not noted in your system specs:

Q: What kind of case are you using? OEM?

OEM cases are designed with sound levels in mind, more so than aftermarket as a general rule.

Powersupply, airflow /soundflow within case, number /positioning of ventilation holes /perforations all impact sound levels.

Going a 16 days+ OP has not posted their system specs as requested (real hard to do a copy and paste)

Wonder if OP will post back what kind of PS he ended up getting?