what language should I learn ?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Dark Dinosaur, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    I am an ex .NET developer. [ I am a very talented man ]
    Learned it for 2 Years. than left for general jobs.
    [ I not super social & friendly, hard to find job ]
    So now I want to go & learn C / C++ / .NET again
    But I see that there is lot of jobs in development,
    what language I should start learn :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Honestly honestly?
    English my friend, English.
    Please...

:tooth:

3. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    not again :doh:
    you need to read my vibes.
    instead trying understand my English.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Kinda wondering why you learn something then deviate. In IT experience matters, you should have looked for a job in coding. You can read here https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/best-programming-languages-to-learn

5. 55Percent

55Percent MDL Junior Member

Mar 12, 2023
    I'm cheating here, as I am going to piggyback and ask what the outcome was for the OP and ask if it is a good idea to be fluent in English to be able to write better code?

Well, what languages require fluency to be any good at coding? First you have to be fluent in the language the course is taught in, yes? Then you might need fluency in the language that 'could be' the target of a program you are writing. no? Yes? I'm sort of stepping into territory I don't recall ever thinking of before. And I'm not even sure why, as I have had to use a number of languages throughout my life. I've written some code specifically for folks not reading English to see, but I don't recall if proficiency in that language was required. It has been too many years. And my memory is getting eaten up by the chemo the docs give me to stay alive, so I may even be forgetting things.

But the point made by Mr.X has me thinking at this time about what language(s) you have to be proficient in to be a good coder?

And don't forget that I am wondering what the OP decided, if the OP wishes to share that with us?

6. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #6 George King, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    Depends on your life goals. I was addicted to C/C++ like 15 years ago. But life turned me into something different. Hard manual work commes and now I’m back in IT world again. Mostly working in VB6/7 and SQL for creating beautiful reports for any case. Of course knowledge from past coding gives me great way to push up my sallary. I still would like to learn assembly, But who know what happends with upcoming quantum era. Maybe I should go back trees in that case :D

EDIT: Also do sallary research, as many people these days known many languages it could be hard to be one of the best to keep your sallary growing constantly. Mostly will stuck as when you became coder there are many others like you, its not really same like in 20 years before

7. Bruce NOTSpringsteen

May 8, 2023
    My advice: Pick the job you want to do, then learn the language (or languages) that serve that industry and position. Don't waste precious time learning something because some one said it's cool. Choose what way you wish to serve, and learn what tools you need in order to do it. Just one person's opinion.

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Wow. The first language thread in months where no one has yet mentioned rust.:D

9. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    you need all four in todays world you want to be versatile to be in high demand position to make the big $$$$.....to me the future is in developers creating good apps for mobile devices that are robust and secure....yes there's tons of apps out their 75% are garbage