What laptop specs for these programs?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ian82, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    My mom's friend is a girl in college, she has a MacBook, she installed Windows on it to run the following 3 programs but she said when she took it to a computer shop they said they won't run on a MacBook and she needs to buy a PC laptop.

I was surprised as to why wouldn't they installed if she had Windows installed, do you think it's possible or the computer shop guy didn't know what he's doing?

1) please advice if it's possible if she has Windows on her Mac Book

2) Please advice what specs of a laptop shall I advice her to buy? would she be ok with a : A) Intel HD Graphics 4000 B) any nVIDIA M mobile graphics chipset, let's saw a GT6200, or would she need a high performance laptop like with a C) GTX 770 ?

the programs are:

pspice
    matlab
    codeblock

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Just did quick search in google for Minimum hardware requirements for running pspice first link is PSpice User's Guide

Do the same search just replace program name.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    As the hardware of a MacBook should be definitly able to run Windows, the bigger problem might be incompatibility of older Programs with a new Windows version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Assuming "codeblock" is "code::blocks", all three programs are current and run on both Windows 7 and OS X. Before spending $$$ on new hardware (unless that's what someone really wants to do :)), why not try your hand at installing them yourself?

As for the computer shop, it seems they either didn't bother to do a simple Google search, or smelled a mark good for a big computer sale.

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    that's what I thought, thanks guys, I will try installing them myself for her