What lowest spec computer to run this server do i need?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by msr, Aug 25, 2009.

1. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Anyone got any links to info on how to build a low energy use nas computer, with windows home server in it.

I want to put 6 sata 2 hard drives in it. What spec computer would i need, and i want to do this cheaply and the computer i want must be low cost to run as a server.

So i want to run 6 hard drives, on as cheap a system i can, with as low running costs i can.

Any advice welcome, thx

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    #2 drably, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    if you dont know how to build a server, then you clearly have no business doing so.
    try google.
    you might learn something.

im not answering a question for someone who refuses to do their homework.

3. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Oh sorry i know i just want to know about what specs would be the lowest in cost in running, on bills etc...

I thought someone may have done this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. esetoric

esetoric MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2009
    For use WHS? I would say an Intel D945GCLF2 + a PCI SATA controller, large case and a reliable 80+ power supply.

Add an HP SLP string to the BIOS and you're good to go.

5. AshenTech

AshenTech MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2008
    then why even post?

Oh I know, so you could be a conceited prick to somebody asking a simple question.....well guess what, you succeeded!!!

as to the question.

take a look at the dual core atom setups, wont be super fast but will work for a nas, linux would run faster and there are free nas linux distro's that would just be less hassle and could run on older hardware(recycle a computer!!!)

i have run 2k8 on a 1150mhz athlonXP with 1gb ram and a x1300 256mb and it was quite useable for day to day use as well as made a good file server(what your calling a nas)

my buddy ted setup an old duron box with 4-4port pci sata2 cards(25bucks each from newegg) works great for his office exchange and file server :)