What the feck is going on?

Discussion in 'Mixed Languages' started by QuantumBug, Nov 8, 2012.

1. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    #1 QuantumBug, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Well, yeah I've been away for a while... So give me a break.

I bought Windows 8 for £25 to develop with. Installed it with the Product Key I received and tested WinTK, worked absolutely fine...

Since I've installed Media Center with a Product Key, DigitalProductId @ offset 52 for Windows shows as the Media Center Product Key.

Let me guess, I now need to faff around with offsets? Maybe use DigitalProductId4? I'm most definitely missing something.

Added: Even WMI SoftwareLicensingProduct shows my key has been replaced...

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    My Windows 8 Pro with Media Center key is really well decoded by DigitalProductId using the StartIndex = 52 and I've no problem with it.

Take a look on your code again. And see if you're decoding the DigitalProductId from 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion'.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    That key is an upgrade key & it really replaces the old Pro key. Its normal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    I've messed up this important part of the thread. The Pro key is really rewritten with the Upgrade key.

5. woot332

woot332 MDL Senior Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Yup thats right, and sometimes the old product key can be found in.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey(2)

6. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    So am I right by saying, this 'upgrade' key can be used to activate Windows? And it seems DefaultProductKey2 has been overwritten with this upgrade key also. I will look into this more, the key can't be wiped from the PC.

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Read this thread... discuss it there.

8. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    Really? I'm here to discuss whether the decryption process changed in RTM and looking into maybe finding out if the key is hiding on the OS = developer stuff?

9. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    The decryption methods of RC and RTM are the same. This Upgrade key replaces your current activation completely.

Upgrade keys is Retail keys that needs of the Windows activated before convert the Pro to Pro WMC.