What the... - WinRar is crawling for me

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by sittingduck77, Apr 28, 2011.

1. sittingduck77

sittingduck77 MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    So I'm extracting a rar file in 46 parts totalling 4,5GB of data. But WinRar is crawling - see the attached screenshot. I'm extracting from one 320GB drive to another 320 GB drive - both with plenty of room. No other programs utilizing the disks are running. Every other rar file extracts with the usual speed. Can anyone pinpoint what the problem could be? Not that I can't wait for the file to finish extracting but I would just like to know why it is taking forever. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. sittingduck77

Aug 25, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion. Same problem, though. 7-zip also drags along at about 900 KB/s. This is strange. Could enabling some kind of crazy option when making the rar file (über-compression of some sort) result in such slow extraction. I'm on a perfect running XP SP3 system with a Core 2 Duo processor, by the way.

3. Taser

Taser MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    disable comodo during the extraction process and after re enable it

4. sittingduck77

Aug 25, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions - disabling both Comodo and MSE doesn't change anything. I'm baffled but am now taking the advice of acrsn; I'm moving on (but still bothered that I couldn't find the reason for this). Thanks all.

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    ram memore speed and writing speed of the hdd could cause something like that.
    Bumping those, it will speedup the process.

6. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Must be the file...maybe some nonstandard compression, weird dictionary size, something...maybe the fact it's a solid archive...

7. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    #7 mohamedkamel, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
    As acrsn said above:

Just be patient and unrar the file using winrar or 7-zip and forget about it. The file size is really big and for sure it contains lots of tiny files; maybe there are hundreds of these tiny files, this is a reason that slow compressing/decompressing as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    U mentioned extracting from one 320 GB Drive to another 320 GB Drive : i believe one is external HDD and other internal (i.e.,inside ur PC) yeah.... That's so frankly normal: the better way to gain faster extraction is copy the whole 4.5 GB file to your internal Disk and then proceed with the extraction.

You didn't mentioned the processor and the amount of RAM your system has. If its Dual core and 2 GB ram it would take frankly 10-15 min to extract from External to Internal.
    If your system doesn't have Dual Core or 1 GB ram, better smell the coffee : your rig is not up to it. From the snapshot it look's that Microsoft Security essential is running along with other application , and MS essential doesn't have the option to disable the real time scanning feature like Norton Anti-virus. That is why i don't use AVG, AVAST and MS SECURITY ESSENTIAL. But they are still good.
    Its normal either their is too many processes that is hogging you system or its ur rig.
    Best solution is copy the file to your internal HDD and see the immediate difference, that is what i always do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I really have to disagree on that...extracting directly from an external to an internal drive is the ideal way. It'll save you the time to copy the whole archive and you don't need twice the space on the internal disk, plus you're not reading and writing on the same disk which is slower than going between two separate disks.

If you're already copying everything from external to internal, why not extract it at the same time and be done with it? Anything else would take longer in the end :wassat:

10. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Yes i agree with on the space thing only.....it would require twice the amount 4.5 GB+4.5 GB= 9GB, but its only a privilege to those who has bigger internal HDD. And this fellow has MS Security Essential with a host of other application running in the background. So i am offering a way that would suit his System's capabilities. MS Security does real time scanning of every file when it is run, did you consider that: and sometime's often like Norton Antivirus give a false negative report on some file : which may be sometimes completely be safe to run.

Have you ever tried copying 4.5GB in ur Internal Disk and running it. I know i have did when installing some games which sometimes are ripped, the process i mentioned gives be faster results, no matter if i am extrating a game,movies or etc etc.