What to do about Edge...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mrfantasy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. mrfantasy

mrfantasy MDL Junior Member

Sep 17, 2013
    #1 mrfantasy, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    I'm the guy who after Microsoft updated my system on November 1st of last year, I didn't have Edge anymore. It's been a long time and still cannot seem to find any information on how to get it back. I've tried "Microsoft Community" and "My Digital Life Forums" for help. There wasn't any. Mind you, I had deleted anything that has reference to Microsoft Edge since the update Microsoft 'graciously' did for me a few days later. On March 4th, I had a wild idea. A woman I'm living with has a laptop with 64bit, Windows 10 system. I asked if she doesn't mind if I go into her machine and she said, "Fine." I searched for anything with MicrosoftEdge, collected them and sent them to my machine. I then went to my machine, found them on my network in her laptop and transported them to mine. Now, I realize MicrosoftEdge is in the subdirectory of C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\. As I said, 10 subfolders (amd64_microsoft-windows-microsoftedge_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.*) are in the subfolder of MicrosoftEdge. Are those folders temporary? Aren't they supposed to be in the WinSxs, subfolder of Windows? If so, how do I supposed to get them in? I tried to copy and paste those subfolders into the WinSxS folder; but it says I do not have the authority to do so. My main reason is I still can't get the Microsoft Edge program to run! Please help!!! :weep:

Quick note. With this question, the response from Microsoft Community (Frederick Long - Launch Expert Windows 10) is as follows:
    "To run edge from your desktop, create a shortcut with this target:
    %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge."

When I plugged it in to a shortcut and tried it, it led me to an explorer window that showed me my document folder... I tried it twice just to make sure I didn't screw something up; but the same happened. I added an attachment of my explorer screen, showing the folders and files that exist in my folder, Microsoft Edge.

Attached Files:

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    IMO you should forget about Edge ! You are now for an period trying to get it done on your system and if I may share some knowledge and experiance with you gathered in many years working with computers use an workaround like installing Firefox or Chrome their mature browsers with good support ! Edge is like kinder garten browser at this time it is not out developed by the long run. If you persist on gettting edge back maybe think about reinstalling your whole system other wise forget about this matter and good luck further I hope you will find your solution ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @endbase I agree 100% maybe in future Edge stay good I hope that no second IE ;) but today Firefox at least in my humble opinion is the best only my 2 cents :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
    Thank you; but it annoys me that I can't get back to Edge...

5. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    or return to good ol'IE.

only use firefox if you don't care about it eating up 500mb+ of ram, it's been confirmed there's a memory leak, but does it get fixed? no. also when you start piling on the addons it starts eating even more memory..

chrome has no sidebar which sucks and the ones users have made are pretty buggy.

opera has the useless speed dial and no home button on the toolbar.

seamonkey is pretty light on memory usage and is basically a decent version of firefox.

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

I can relate to that ! but there is an point you have to let go if it's not gonna work out so it's your call :tea:

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #8 s1ave77, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Edge due to it's hybrid nature is a real diva :cool2:.Although one can find it in appx section of the OS, uninstall will fail (system app); it needs normally to remove the system packs.

Reinstalling had a 50:50 chance so far.

In your case i would try reintegrate (admin Powershell console):

Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name *Edge* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}
    Reboot afterwards. It might need an 'sfc /scannow' to get it working.

As said 50:50 :g:.

9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Use the ISO of the same Windows 10 Build you have Microsoft Edge issue with to re-upgrade your system. If that didn't solve the problem you would have to reset your device.

10. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
  11. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
    #12 mrfantasy, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Slave? Would you goto message #11? Should I enter the code you gave me in the registry in both instances?

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Code has to be entered into Administrative Powershell prompt. Reboot afterwards.

13. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
    Powershell

Please tell me I'm supposed to use your code in this screen?

Attached Files:

14. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012

yep, indeed. Open via right-click as Admin.

15. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
  16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #20 lobo11, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017