What to do next ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by logicwatch, May 17, 2017.

1. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi
    wanted to throw this one out to the MDL Community as I have reached a brick wall with What to do next ?
    A friend of mine took receipt of his new HP PC 2 weeks ago it was updated to W10 Anniversary 2 when it was released and all has worked perfectly until today.
    Strange fault
    Google Chrome / Internet Explorer / Firefox all connect to the Internet perfectly alas NOT Microsoft edge it just gives the Hmm we cant reach this page message.
    Interestingly if networking is looked at in settings Ethernet ( its only connection ) shows not connected and no internet despite emails via outlook and the other browsers all working fine ?
    Also and significant is there is no network icon on the taskbar or in notification area despite device manager showing ethernet card device working fine.
    I am assuming Edge because of its integration with W10 will not access the internet because of the above issues whereas the other browsers not intergrated with the OS connect and the internet works fine.

Ok let me explain what I have tried so far:

1. System restore ( no effect )
    2. Edge reinstall with Powershell ( no effect )
    3. Enable & re enable ethernet card ( no effect ) must be ok anyway as other browsers work fine.
    4. Setup new user account ( no effect )
    5.Ran SFC /scannow ( no issues found )
    6.Reset networking ( no effect ) must be ok anyway as other browsers working fine but tried anyway.
    7. Ran several Malware scans Hitman / Malwarebytes no issues.

Clearly the issue is ( I assume ) until network status in W10 settings sees a internet connection and the icon is back on the taskbar Edge just will not work ? The fault is obviously some W10 problem.
    I really wont to try and avoid a complete reset or reinstall if possible can anybody offer a solution I can try to repair or resolve the above as I am now stuck.
    many thanks in advance
    :(

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Did you try the in-build network troubleshooter?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    yes have ran its the option below my ethernet connection in networking which shows no internet but remember the other browsers all work perfectly ?
    Its very strange

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Do you block any MS servers? Especially the msftncsi.com one?

5. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    well not to my knowledge I took a look at the firewall and all seemed in order I can reset to defaults.
    The fact I setup a new account should have removed the firewall from being the culprit.
    I am pretty sure the answer lies somewhere with W10 network showing a not connected status in the settings interface and no network icon on the taskbar ?
    So the operating system thinks there is no internet so edge will not work whereas chrome and firefox not being dependant and tied to the W10 os just work perfectly ?

6. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    I just asked because that server is used to determine online status (Active Probing).
    As long as you get valid IPs the public net should work just fine.
    You could check if the working browsers and mail clients use a proxy/VPN.
    Other than that, no idea, possibly broken network stack or external problems (router).

7. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    ok thanks Carlos will check things out with this.
    Have been following a few leads on the message I get in Networking settings status it shows the message the dependency service or group failed to start
    so perhaps some service is not starting up on windows boot ?

8. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, looks like a service the network functionality depends on fails to start. The Event Viewer (System Event Log) should provide details.

9. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    tried a normal start through msconfig to boot all services but still same fault ?? :(

10. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    My 2nd hand is try backup all there stuff, then re-install Windows 10 clean, nothing on it, like 3rd party apps. Meet all Hardware drivers and etc for this HP PC.. I had done many HP PC and never had issues. Sound like some of file my be damage on the system file. My suggest to backup as much you can, or swap the hard drive (at least 250gb or more, to test it.) then see what happen..

11. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    ok
    just to update this issue as now resolved just in case anyone has the same issue / symptoms.
    It turned out that despite the fact I had tried restoring all services as stated above when I checked in services.msc several crucial networking services were still set as manual on start ?
    Once changed to automatic and the PC rebooted all was resolved and we were back up and running again !
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys!
    Cannot understand why the normal start in msconfig didnt resolve originally clearly it did not set networking services back to automatic on reboot thus throwing me on resolving this issue earlier ?

12. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    try remove the driver and check if u got ping with cmd