what version of Win8.1 has install.wim

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by roozbehid, Dec 19, 2013.

1. roozbehid

roozbehid MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    Hi,

So I had Win8.1 with OEM key but I had to format my computer(tablet).
    I also have another legit key (non OEM) for 8.0 pro.
    I used upgrade advisor to get the .iso file and made a bootable usb drive. I used dism to add touch drivers to boot.wim and everything is fine. But the recovery options doesnt have touch driver. So I wanted to add them to install.esd and realized well you cant edit .esd file.

I saw some people posted that some RTM or GL or VL or VL N (which none of them I know what do they mean) have install.wim.

I would appreciate if you someone point me to which file should I download. And also should I add drivers to install.wim (index 1 or 0) to have that in recovery option.

Thanks.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    all iso's from MSDN have install.wim. ESD are in the downloadable ones from store etc.

3. roozbehid

roozbehid MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    well i dont think I have acess to MSDN, so what files from this site are good for me?
    pro vl?pro vl n? ge? rtm?
    ?

4. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    IMO best way that worked for me, install windows 8 and activate with your key, then don't setup anything or install drivers just get updates
    after that go to store get 8.1 (3.6gb download) and let it do the process, if it fails retry sometimes after 2 or 3 tries works. after that
    you can remove with disk cleanup the older w8 installation.
    Worked on a dell all legit

it goes automatically you don't need to reactivate if you get it from the store

otherwise you should get retail iso, sometimes is 8.1 core singlelanguage edition like this dell notebook, I didn't find it
    there are few oem 8.1 around here, I did recovery and then deleted any program or driver bundled and after that did the upgrade

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    Every MSDN release have install.wim, but you can set up with DISM ESD baseline.