what virtualization tool to run x64 guest without VT hardware?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by onetwo3, Jun 21, 2013.

1. onetwo3

onetwo3 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2013
    hello, from my reading on the subject so far it seems there is no way you can run a x64 guest in systems that do not have VT hardware. mainly I just want to get a confirmation if this is correct.I have read mention that Qemu might work for this but still researching it.if you do know a way to do this with some tweeks or otherwise, please share.thanks

2. arley

arley MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2012
    ORacle's VirtualBox would be of help here, but which guest OS i couldn't confirm :D

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    VirtualBox needs VT-X for 64bit guests.

4. onetwo3

onetwo3 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2013
    seems Qemu is the only option but its a complicated and slow one. I have one machine that has a chipset capable of running VT but no option in the bio for it.. a bios mod is not out of the question since MDL seems to have all the instructions for it and some razor sharp members who have experience in this area if I cant figure it out but its a gamble that Im not ready to take just yet. probably easier than getting Qemu working for this but there is no risk factor with Qemu hacks.

5. rafaelbf

rafaelbf MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    My old athlon 64 x2 (socket 939, without VT hardware) with Windows 7 x86 as host and Vmware 9, runs Windows 7 x64 as guest normally.

6. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    It also needs VT-x for OS/2 or eComStation guests (one of the odd x32 OSes with this requirement as a guest).

7. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    The Athlon64 x2 supports AMD-V (the AMD equivalent of VT-x) - so do quite a number of Sempron64 and even Turion64 CPUs.

The same has long been true on the Intel side of that age line - while the original Core 2 Duo has been known to support VT-x, what few realized is that a not-insignificant majority of their cheaper derivatives (Pentium and Celeron) also support VT-x.

In terms of newer generation CPUs (from both companies), the same is holding forth with regards to Extended Processor Tables (EPT) support - it's become as nearly ubiquitous as VT-x/AMD-V did in previous generations. For example, AMD's APUs - with no exceptions of which I am aware - support EPT. (Those APUs target Pentiums and Celerons based on the Core i-series - and EPT is just as practically ubiquitous on Intel's side of the fence. That means Hyper-V *has* gone portable - not two years down the road, or even six months down the road - but a year ago, when Windows 8 launched.)

Hardware virtualization has become effectively ubiquitous.

8. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    correction...

Intel brand of SLAT, known as Extended Page Table (EPT)