What VMWare Version to get

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by dayusmc, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dayusmc

dayusmc MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    Well I finally decided to try VMWare. I have been testing stuff for years now by just rebuilding Machines, testing on them and then rebuilding them. It would be nice to test different OSs and programs without having to rebuild my machine over and over. My question is what VMWare version should I be looking for. I want to be able to test different OSs, including Win7 & Mac OSs (Theoretically of coarse) and different apps on them. My machine is a Dell ATG D630, 8gb Ram, 500gb Hard Drive, Core 2 Duo T9300 With XP Pro 64Bit on it (Not sure if any of that makes a difference, but better more info than not enough). VMWare looks expensive, so I am sure I will be exploring other activation options and I am tired of paying for software to be disappointed with it after the 30 Trial is up and I have already bought it. Any Help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dayusmc

dayusmc MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    I am going to check that one out. I just looked on my company share drive, We have one that they must have bought for use, but I am unsure what version it is. I am downloading it now. Once I figure out what version it is I will let you know what it is and hopefully someone can tell me if it is good for me.

4. dayusmc

dayusmc MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    I think I have VMware Vcenter, not sure what that is.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Vcenter is the management part of VI3/vSphere4/ESXi3

Nothing that is of any use to you

You will be fine with Virtualbox as already said

sebus

6. dayusmc

dayusmc MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    Thanks!! I am going to give it a shot. I am going to check out windows 7 and I have to check out Vista also, as we are getting ready to deploy our modified image of Vista next week, so I want to try it this way. I put Vista 32 & 64 Bit on machines before to play with them, but didn't have time to use them. I figure this way, if I have them loaded on a virtual machine I can play with them in the few spare minutes I get a day. Thanks again for all the advice and help, You guys rule!!

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #7 sebus, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  8. dayusmc

dayusmc MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    I just got my hands on our Vista image, Our higher headquaters is just sending it to us now, We haave 2 months to deploy it- but my boss wants it out by the end of Jan. Personally I think we should just wait for the Win7 image that our higher up are working on, but it is not my call. I actully looked at the post you sent me the link to. How would that effect me if I go past 30 days? I installed the VirtualBox and installed 32Bit XPPro SP3 on it. Works freat, next I am going to put Vista Ultimate 64Bit on it and see how that works.

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You need to activate beyond the 30 days? You will find out in 30 days then...

Did they also give you the KMS server?

sebus

10. dayusmc

dayusmc MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    As far as the regular vista software, I have 2 copies of ultimate I bought and never used, so Iwas hoping to just be able to activate them like I would if it was on a regular computer. I didn't know that I.couldn't activate on a virtual machine. Our vista image for work is a little weird, it activates offline on any machine (so I don't think there is any oembios stuff) we just have to have our CAC card in. I am sure it is some sort of weird deal we have with MS(my uncle has hugh buying power).So I am going to give it a shot, can't hurt to try.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ dayusmc, not being funny here but as say the IT guy did it never go through your mind to look up or enquire about rolling out vista personally you are only going to have problems with vista try and persuade to go with windows 7 you also have to realise coming from XP to vista or windows 7 the machines may not be able to run those OS's. Download WAIK from MS or ms deployment toolkit 2010 that will do the job :)

12. dayusmc

dayusmc MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    I really don't want to go to Vista, but those decisions are made way above my level. I don't even have any input on it.We replaced all the machines that aren't vista compatible.I just do as I am told.

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    It is not machines, main concern is the software that runs on them. And ofcourse you can activate in VM (I just think it is a waste of activation - hence the link)

Offline activation is called OEM, otherwise it is online (just internally to your network0 KMS.

You really should know these things by now

sebus

14. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Actually there is another offline activation method, which the USMC guy mentioneed. You insert a smartcard into a freshly imaged machine and it activates. No KMS, no calling home, and different from OEM.

15. Pooh the Pirate

Pooh the Pirate MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    It's a general principle of a lot of companies to not deploy a service packless OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. dayusmc

dayusmc MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    I tried using Sun's Virtual Box. Pretty good but I think VM Ware might be better. With Sun's Virtual Box for sum reason I was not able to join my domain. I was not able to connect to the Domain controler. I think it might be an IP and DNS thing.