What went wrong with Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Hustle910, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hustle910

Hustle910 MDL Member

Nov 12, 2009
    What went wrong with Windows Vista and could Microsoft not of made a Service Pack of improvements for Vista so people didn't have to hate Vista?

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    The mistake they did was to release way to early.. SP1 and SP2 has alot of improvements.. People still dislike vista but why I dont know. Its a pretty descent OS after SP1..

3. Luisile

Luisile MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2010
    I totaly agree with you!

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    But it is s****e when compared to W7, and now that we have W7...

sebus

5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Yep, easy choice..:)

6. Luisile

Luisile MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2010
    Yes but is same as With WinMe - i used it more than two years and i have no extreme issue with it and most of people say that Win Me was a mistake. Same for me was vista i like it, no isue ...But Win7 Is prety Good

7. seniorgeek1969

seniorgeek1969 MDL Junior Member

Aug 4, 2010
    I never really understood the release of win me win 98se was rock solid. As far as Vista the issues it had I personally feel they were due to oem's installing it on subpar hardware and lack of driver support, remember the issues when xp first came out? Just my opinion

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Vista ain't so bad, I have an Ultimate SP2 x86 license on one of my computers at home and not once have it failed me.
    I think it's great once you start get to knowing it.
    Sure Windows 7 is far more greater but given the right hardware, Vista is a smooth ride.

A while ago I really thought Vista was the worst crap Microsoft had ever created next to ME, but these last couple of months have changed my mind completely and I'm thinking of installing it on another machine (It's a sin to waste licenses)

Besides, Vista have the platform upate which takes it to a smaller similar level of 7, but only smaller.

So now, 4 years later I feel nothing went wrong with Vista, it only needed time to mature and grow.

9. Hustle910

Hustle910 MDL Member

Nov 12, 2009
    With 7 now widely available, and 8 on it's way, has Microsoft left XP and Vista, and by that I mean make a few security updates for them but that's it, XP and Vista aren't important anymore, to Microsoft.

10. tia

tia MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2010
    IMO, vista sp2 better than 7

11. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

And I think a lot of people think so to, more then they like to admit.

I also think Vista is a very misunderstood OS, there were never really any issues with it from the beginning.
    The OS was new and not enough drivers had been released when it was launched hence the trouble, and as mentioned earlier given the right harware Vista would fly.

I bet people said the same thing with XP first when it launched.

Basically I see Windows 7 as an Vista SP3 or R2, nothing more.
    There is nothing really new that Vista couldn't do more then a slightly newer GUI, optimations, better hardware support, drivers etc etc.

12. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Agree they released it too early, but not the software- I see it as the hardware was not quite ready for such a resource intensive OS as Vista.

Back when the first Vista machines came out many were still single core CPU's (designed to run on the simple XP OS) that were just dogs with all of Vista's constantly running processes, As the cost of multi-core CPU's came down and more OEM's put them in their machines, Vista ran much better. The old 2.5" laptop hard drives were also pathetic as far as transfer speeds, and ram was expensive too- so they relied on a large pagefile from the slow hard drive to compensate for lack of required ram- so that made performance even worse with constant hard disk reads.

I remember one early Vista HP laptop a relative bought at Costco- right from the box it had 70+ processes running including Norton. It was a complete dog, had to completely gut the factory bloatware to make vista run on that old single core CPU.

When I do Vista re-installs on clients machines (due to unrepairable virus, bad hard drive, etc..) I usually disable "superfetch", disable "Windows search" and turn off "scheduled disk defragmentation"- that seems to stop most of the constant disk thrashing that bring lesser hardware to it's knees with Vista.

Install Vista on a modern computer with 2-4 CPU cores, and 2-4GB ram- it runs great, install it on an old single core laptop and you'll hate it worse than paying taxes.

13. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

+1 on this post

14. thomas-007

thomas-007 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2011
    Only if the Networking would play with XP and 7.

15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Vista SP2 was very good, that's more or less Windows 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. YPwn

YPwn MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2011
    Actually, Vista have A LOT of improvements in the kernel. That includes SuperFetch, ASLR etc.
    Vista SP2 is still good, people just don't understand it.

17. lolleur1

lolleur1 MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2011
    Me thinks Vista was supposed to be meant as a Joke. "Hey look, let's take a really good OS, Change the graphics a little, then screw up the entire system" :D

18. Fortesque

Fortesque MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2011
    Wow. Goes to show that some people have crazy opinions.

19. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    In some extreme cases you also have to disable "System Restore" to prevent disk thrashing. But be aware of the consequences!

20. 95blackz26

95blackz26 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    there was a lot of hate on XP when it first came out. i seem to remember a lot of the tech shows (back when G4 was techtv) use to say it had a fisher price interface among things.

once SP2 came out it cleared a lot of the issues up. Microsoft is giving up mainstream support for vista in april of next year but you can still get updates till 2017. that probably means windows 8 is coming out next year.

i never had any issues with it except for a few drivers when it first came out.